none
WS2000 Hyper-V VM Length of Time for Saved State vs Synchronization (Express Full) RRS feed

• Question

• Running DPM 2010 on WS2008-R2 Host, WS2000 SP4 Hyper-V VM on a Single-Node Cluster (in anticipation of soon adding a second node).  The WS2000 VM is in its own PG creating backups at 6p daily using Saved State.  All is well, but I've noticed that DPM saves the state (freezes/restarts) the VM over the course of about 30 seconds, but the synchronization (Express Full) runs over the course of about 1 1/2 hours (transferring about 750MB out of a 135GB VM).  I'm running an old version of Oracle on the guest.  Just for comfort, I take down the Oracle Services prior to the RP at 6p, but I don't know when it's safe to bring these services back online.  The VM seems to be running fine at 6:01p, but I don't know if I should really restart all services until the Full Express sync is done.  Should I wait until the sync is done...?  Is it really even necessary to take down the Oracle services...(6p is after-hours with no transactional activity)..?  Thanks..!
    Friday, December 3, 2010 12:49 AM

Answers

• Greg I'm no expert on Oracle however the VM should be fine without stopping the services. If you experience issues as a result of not stopping the Oracle services then by all means do so but you don't have to wait for the sync to complete but rather only for the VM to come back out of the saved state.

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 9:38 PM

All replies

• Greg I'm no expert on Oracle however the VM should be fine without stopping the services. If you experience issues as a result of not stopping the Oracle services then by all means do so but you don't have to wait for the sync to complete but rather only for the VM to come back out of the saved state.

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Tyler, you're a Rock Star...!  Thank you so much for the response - really helpful.  By the way, I believe you've helped me before through paid TechNet support.  Good to hear from you, and again, I really appreciate the answer.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 10:21 PM