File Cache puts all Physical RAM in standby -> Machine Slows to Crawl RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop (running Win7 Home Premium w/ 4GB RAM) recently started slowing to a crawl. I always run process explorer elevated with all the history options enabled, and the only resource it showed being in short supply is physical RAM. Using RamMap, it looks like window's file cache is putting all my RAM into standby for  for huge files in my downloads folder. When I use RamMap to empty the standby list, my laptop immediately becomes more responsive. If I periodically refresh RamMap, it'll show low standby usage as long as my laptop remains responsive and when my laptop starts slowing down, it'll show progressively more physical RAM being used as standby for huge files.

I have several questions:

• Is it likely that my analysis is correct? I know RAM in standby is supposed to still be quickly available to applications, but it seems to slow everything down.
    • Is there a way to tell the file cache that I don't need it reserving room for files in my download folder, because those aren't the ones I'm likely to be accessing soon.
    • What is the best way to fix this problem?
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 9:33 PM

Answers