none
Azure AD & the PowerBI API - is this possible..... RRS feed

• Question

• We have used the sample at https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-Developer-Samples/tree/master/User%20Owns%20Data

The sample is working well and accesses our PowerBi content without a problem, when the user logging in to PowerBI is part of our Azure AD.

However we want our application to access a PowerBI Pro user content external to our Azure AD. Meaning the powerbi dataset, report and dashboard is owned by the PowerBi pro user. Connecting to it via our application (ClientId and Secret)

Using the sample whenever the users accounts are external to our AD – outside our organisation – a “Bad Request” message is returned using the sample mentioned above.

The only way the error is removed is if we force the external user to register for their own ClientID and Secret for our application – which clearly we do not wish to do.

In summary.

• The Application, ClientID and Secret are to reside inside our Azure AD account example @companyA
    • Users from any organisation outside of Domain A, are to use the application to consume their own PowerBI content.

The Reports and Dashboards and data would all reside in the PowerBI Pro user who logs in. Eg user@companyz

Is this architecture possible ?

If so can a link to resources or a project sample in this environment please be provided.

many thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Shaun. I'd recommend you post this over on the Power BI Community site.

Ehren

Friday, October 27, 2017 10:53 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks but the Power forum advised me to come here !

I am at a loss without anyone wanting to answer the questions which i thought would have been known.

The API has a "User owns data" model - I would have that that model catered for the user also owing the Powerbi content in their own Powerbi account.

Saturday, October 28, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Hey Shaun,

Would you mind sharing the link to the post that you created on the Power BI Developer forum?

As Ehren suggested, the best place to ask this question would be the Power BI Community forum, to be more accurate this forum dedicated to the Power BI API.

The forum that we're on right now is dedicated to provide support only to questions related to Power Query and the M language. 

Sunday, October 29, 2017 12:36 AM