Windows 10 and failure of hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have two hard drives in my PC one dedicated to windows 10 (a) and the other to windows 7  (b). 

Recently my hard drive (a) with  windows 10 failed and it was impossible to use. I did, however, find an iso file on my remaining drive (b) which had a copy of my windows 10 on it. 

I subsequently tried to recover my windows 10 by using my iso file but it failed twice. I am now back to using Windows 7 after 2 years of struggling (at times) with the development of win 10.

Has anyone got a solution to this which does not mean that I have to pay for a new copy of 10.

Brian

Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Brian.

You didn't write which "kind" of Windows 10 you have: OEM license, Retail license or result of an update from a previous Windows version.
    Anyway, replacing the hard disk won't invalidate the license, so you should be always able to install and activate Windows 10 again.
    Why is it failing? Could you provide us with more detailed information about it?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:04 PM
  • Hi Abbasvicis,

Reinstall the same version of Windows 10 will automatic activate If it has been activated before reinstalling Windows 10.

Try to perform an In-place Upgrade.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Or use Windows recovery option to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 18, 2017 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 21, 2017 12:07 PM