SQL connection issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am installing the VMMSSP server component and i am specifying a remote database server where SQL 2008 enterprise is installed. Now, when I click on Get Instances I get the error SQL network Interfaces, error: 28 - server doesn't support requested protocol.

I checked that remote connections are allowed to the sql server and I checked that TCP is enabled as protocol. I restarted SQL - but still I get the same error.

I assume that it's possible to install the VMMSSP server component on a separate machine from the SQL server.

Thanks,

Gunter

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Gunter,

Yes, it is possible to install VMMSSP server component on separate machine from the SQL Server. 

(1) Which port you are using for SQL Server? Can you please check if firewall exception is opened for this port ? 

(2) Can you also check if the "Windows Management Instrumentation Service (Winmgmt) is running in the SQL Server? need to start this service if stopped

Once this is done, Can you please try again?

Regards

Yogesh

• Edited by Yogesh C Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:53 PM Adding one more case
    • Marked as answer by Gunter D Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:38 AM
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hi Yogesh,

thanks for the reply. I figured out what it was. I also had the sql 2005 express running on the same machine as the sql 2008 server. So when I configured the sql 2005 surface correctly, I was also able to connect the 2008 server.

Regrads,

Gunter

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Gunter,

Yes, it is possible to install VMMSSP server component on separate machine from the SQL Server. 

(1) Which port you are using for SQL Server? Can you please check if firewall exception is opened for this port ? 

(2) Can you also check if the "Windows Management Instrumentation Service (Winmgmt) is running in the SQL Server? need to start this service if stopped

Once this is done, Can you please try again?

Regards

Yogesh

• Edited by Yogesh C Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:53 PM Adding one more case
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hi Yogesh,

thanks for the reply. I figured out what it was. I also had the sql 2005 express running on the same machine as the sql 2008 server. So when I configured the sql 2005 surface correctly, I was also able to connect the 2008 server.

Regrads,

Gunter

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:38 AM