none
Shares or Volumes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've recently found that I have two areas where I can recover data from (I assume its taking up twice the amount of space too), they are through 'shares' and also through 'volumes' - what is the best way to backup the data? Through the share or through the volume?

Thanks in advance

-TheGoodQuestion

Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From a protection point of view, there is not much difference, DPM will protect the files the same way. The only difference being how you are selecting the subset of files to protect.

If you have a large volume that contains lots of files, but not all files are under shares, then using only share protection will miss protecting those files not located under the shares being protected. If you protect the entire volume, we include all files.
    From an END USER RECOVERY (EUR) point of view, if you protect only certain shares, DPM will only enable EUR for those shares.  If you protect a whole volume, DPM will enable EUR for ALL shares on the volume. This assumes of course that you have enabled EUR on the DPM server.

So - basically, it's just a convenience to be able to select shares during protection so you don't need to drill down into the volume and select individual folders to protect that represent those shares.   Either way, all shares or folders under protection need to be in the same protection group.  You cannot have different retention ranges or different recovery point schedule at the share of folder level.

Kind Regards
    Markus

Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From a protection point of view, there is not much difference, DPM will protect the files the same way. The only difference being how you are selecting the subset of files to protect.

If you have a large volume that contains lots of files, but not all files are under shares, then using only share protection will miss protecting those files not located under the shares being protected. If you protect the entire volume, we include all files.
    From an END USER RECOVERY (EUR) point of view, if you protect only certain shares, DPM will only enable EUR for those shares.  If you protect a whole volume, DPM will enable EUR for ALL shares on the volume. This assumes of course that you have enabled EUR on the DPM server.

So - basically, it's just a convenience to be able to select shares during protection so you don't need to drill down into the volume and select individual folders to protect that represent those shares.   Either way, all shares or folders under protection need to be in the same protection group.  You cannot have different retention ranges or different recovery point schedule at the share of folder level.

Kind Regards
    Markus

Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:42 PM
  • That's great thank you.  So if I have the option to restore from both is it taking up double the space? (basically, can I delete one of them?).

Thanks

Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Yes you can restore the files from both the volume- and share-protection. Which protection method you use is up to you and the demands from your organization!

//Markus

Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:48 PM
  • So if I have the data in two places can I delete one of them?

Thanks

Friday, April 17, 2015 8:40 AM