none
How can I synchronize Sticky Notes created in Windows 10 Anniversary Update across devices and operating systems RRS feed

• Question

• I have just started using Sticky Notes on a computer running Windows 10 Anniversary Update.  I also frequently use a machine belonging to my employer institution that is still running Windows 7.  (My employer hasn't made the decision to upgrade to Windows 10 yet.)  I can find ways online to synchronize Sticky Notes across devices, but they assume the Sticky Notes folder is in %APPDATA%.  In Anniversary Update, it is no longer there, but in some sort of database.  Does anyone know how to handle this, so that the Sticky Notes can still be synced to other machines?  It would be good if the method would involve OneDrive.

Thanks

Monday, November 7, 2016 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sticky Note on Windows 10 1067 is changed as a built-in Windows Store App. There is no way to  sync the Sticky Note. If it's possible, I suggest you record the important event in OneNote.

OneNote could be sync all date across the any device.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

Sticky Note on Windows 10 1067 is changed as a built-in Windows Store App. There is no way to  sync the Sticky Note. If it's possible, I suggest you record the important event in OneNote.

OneNote could be sync all date across the any device.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Yes, but OneNote does not display notes the same way as Sticky Notes.  This seems to me to be another example where Microsoft has "fixed" something that wasn't broke.  It would be great if OneNote could somehow implement a true Sticky Notes-like interface, or if Sticky Notes could somehow be made synchronizable across devices and operating systems.  Disappointed.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

Sticky note is a kind of easy and quick note for local recording. If you want to sync across the devices, OneDrive and OneNote are good choices.

Friday, November 25, 2016 9:38 AM
  • I am aware of what Sticky Notes is.  I'm also aware that in previous versions of Windows its data was stored in a folder that could be copied to other machines, even running different versions of Windows.  With Windows 10 that's no longer possible because of the switch to storing the data in a database.  While OneNote is fine for making notes and can be synced, as far as I know it does not offer the same ease of seeing your notes there on your desktop the way that Sticky Notes does, and so I don't think it is really a apples for apples replacement for Sticky Notes.  I think this change is a mistake on Microsoft's part.
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 9:20 PM
  •  storing the data in a database

Edge is doing that too but I thought easier sharing was one of the reasons for the new implementation.  Where are these ideas documented?

Maybe we need to start experimenting with  Esentutl /y

E.g. one of its options is

/d<file>

Destination file (default: copy source file to current directory)

so, if you could target somewhere in your OneDrive that way, would it do what you want?

BTW there is no WIKI article about Esentutl!

I have lost track of how I arrived at this final search to get the above reference.  Apparently I have not enabled BING's search history.  I think  EDB File Sharing led me to Extensible Storage Engine and from there a reference to Esentutl was found.

(BING search for
        command line esentutl site:microsoft.com
    )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, November 27, 2016 6:53 PM
  •  storing the data in a database

Edge is doing that too but I thought easier sharing was one of the reasons for the new implementation.  Where are these ideas documented?

Maybe we need to start experimenting with  Esentutl /y

E.g. one of its options is

/d<file>

Destination file (default: copy source file to current directory)

so, if you could target somewhere in your OneDrive that way, would it do what you want?

BTW there is no WIKI article about Esentutl!

I have lost track of how I arrived at this final search to get the above reference.  Apparently I have not enabled BING's search history.  I think  EDB File Sharing led me to Extensible Storage Engine and from there a reference to Esentutl was found.

(BING search for
        command line esentutl site:microsoft.com
    )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thanks for that information.  I might try that.  There is another thread (Sticky Notes Functionality Broken by Windows 10 Update) that has a procedure to recover the old Sticky Notes in Windows 10.  I haven't tried it.

I've been using the trial version of Notezilla.  It's pretty nice, though it's not free, and it syncs with ease across almost any type of device if you pay for the annual subscription.  I haven't decided yet whether I want to pay for it.

Full disclosure: I'm not a developer, just a user.  I'm not sure how I ended up in this developer forum.  And I have no relationship with Notezilla except as a temporary (for now) user.

Monday, November 28, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Exactly! I totally agree with you. This is missing of Microsoft. OneNote is pro, and have many features, but nowaday for works, note must be quickly, open and just NOTE, done! And stickies note is do it very good. It's simple, easy and colorful and very useful. But I lost many times for syncing notes between PCs, it's suck!

I lost many important notes just because window is broken on one PC, and boom! all notes destroy! That's annoying. And second, when I came back home from work, I couldn't continue with notes I create on the office. It's boring!

Iam a big fan of Windows 10 and don't like Apple MacOs, but MS coud be better, right? I think other users have same thinking!

• Edited by KyleVu89 Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:10 AM
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:09 AM
  • I think syncing notes is quite easy, right? Just look into notes on MacOs, you just sign in clouds, and get all notes synchronize. It's very nice. But that Apple notes is quite boring like other MacOs app. It's have bad interface and they don't change it.

It's the reason I like windows 10 more than MacOs. Hope you can understand this. Thank you!

Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:16 AM
  • solution found here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/synchronise-microsofts-new-sticky-notes-across/f845d386-efe7-48b6-b0a8-2a1d6eb248e0

Saturday, March 31, 2018 11:26 PM
  • Yes and move the plum.sqlite folder to a onedrive subfolder and use a MKLINK /J to point original location to the new one  by example.

In my case, i'm using that tips but with fastnote instead of sticky notes, fastnote as more customisation.

Eddy

Saturday, April 7, 2018 8:01 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, regardless this still comes up high on the Google search results.  I will let those people know for those who stumble across this using search engines, this no longer works.  I tried copying plum.sqlite in Windows 10 builds 1809 and 1903 and the notes do not follow.  I do not think this holds much information since the file is only 4KB in size, even if you add a lot of sticky notes.

I posted a new thread over at answers.microsoft.com asking for help getting this to work in Windows 10 like we had it working in Windows 7. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/how-can-i-sync-sticky-notes-between-windows-10/01b85b75-2213-4fb9-9b6c-418b4639c161?tm=1563378084264

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:45 PM
  • This is one more of the worst changes that no one wanted or needed. You have lost all my sticky notes with no recourse. I lost valuable information with no recourse to locate or save. I hate this.  This is not quite as bad as the mess you made of my photos but close. 
    Friday, November 1, 2019 7:29 PM
  • what change do you mean?
    did you activate sync (available since 1903)?
    Friday, November 1, 2019 7:37 PM
  • This is one more of the worst changes that no one wanted or needed. You have lost all my sticky notes with no recourse. I lost valuable information with no recourse to locate or save. I hate this.  This is not quite as bad as the mess you made of my photos but close. 

I agree.   When dealing with upgrading users from Windows 7 to 10, I spend way too much time having to mess with Sticky Notes.  it used to be a simple task, now it's unrealistically difficult.

Friday, November 1, 2019 8:48 PM