none
Error 58 The specified server cannot perform the requested operation

Question

• Hello,

I will try to explain the situation as brief as possible. Next to our current existing MDT environment (MDT2010 on Windows 2008 R2) we are no building a new system (MDT2013 on WIndows 2012 R2). We have multiple sites and the MDT deployment share is setup in DFRS share so every site is getting the same deployment information and replication is done automatically. This has been working firn for 3 years with the old system and also with the new environment it was working fine in our own subnet. But when after i have setup the remote MDT and WDS servers it is not working in these remote sites. The images are loading fine but for some reason the win PE is not connecting to the shares on the windows 2012 server in our site. When i manuualy connect from a remote win PE to our server i always get the error: system error 58 has occured. The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

I have been doing some troubleshooting and it seems i only got this issue when i connect from win PE 5.0 to a windows 2012 R2 server in a remote subnet.

• When i use win PE 5.0 and connect to a windows 2012 R2 share in the same subnet it connects fine. 
    • When i use win PE 5.0 and connect to a windows 2008 R2 share in a remote subnet it connects fine
    • When i use an older win PE and i connect to a windows 2012 R2 share in a remote subnet it connects fine
    • When i use win PE 5.0 and connect to a windows 2012 R2 share in a remote subnet it does NOT connect and gives the above error

The problem is that this problem also does not occure in Windows 7, after the machine was build by MDT and get into the OS i can connect without a problem to the windows 2012 R2 shares.

Checking the event viewer on the 2012 R2 server that is hosting the shares i see that the following events are created:

• 4624: An account was successfully logged on.

Subject:
    Security ID: NULL SID
    Account Name: -
    Account Domain: -
    Logon ID: 0x0

Logon Type: 3

Impersonation Level: Impersonation

New Logon:
    Security ID: domain\username
    Account Name: username
    Account Domain: domain
    Logon ID: 0x1F1FC0
    Logon GUID: {8e360e91-001b-c726-84a6-e7281a4bcac8}

Process Information:
    Process ID: 0x0
    Process Name: -

Network Information:
    Workstation Name:
    Source Network Address: x.x.x.x
    Source Port: 60077

Detailed Authentication Information:
    Logon Process: Kerberos
    Authentication Package: Kerberos
    Transited Services: -
    Package Name (NTLM only): -
    Key Length: 0

This event is generated when a logon session is created. It is generated on the computer that was accessed.

The subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the logon. This is most commonly a service such as the Server service, or a local process such as Winlogon.exe or Services.exe.

The logon type field indicates the kind of logon that occurred. The most common types are 2 (interactive) and 3 (network).

The New Logon fields indicate the account for whom the new logon was created, i.e. the account that was logged on.

The network fields indicate where a remote logon request originated. Workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in some cases.

The impersonation level field indicates the extent to which a process in the logon session can impersonate.

The authentication information fields provide detailed information about this specific logon request.
    - Logon GUID is a unique identifier that can be used to correlate this event with a KDC event.
    - Transited services indicate which intermediate services have participated in this logon request.
    - Package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the NTLM protocols.
    - Key length indicates the length of the generated session key. This will be 0 if no session key was requested.

• 5140: 

A network share object was accessed.

Subject:
    Account Domain: domain

Network Information:
    Object Type: File
    Source Address: x.x.x.x
    Source Port: 60077

Share Information:
    Share Name: \\*\Captures
    Share Path: \??\D:\Captures

Access Request Information:
    Access Mask: 0x1
    Accesses: ReadData (or ListDirectory)

• 4634: 

An account was logged off.

Subject:
    Account Domain: domain

Logon Type: 3

This event is generated when a logon session is destroyed. It may be positively correlated with a logon event using the Logon ID value. Logon IDs are only unique between reboots on the same computer.

Anyone an idea why this is happening?

• Edited by Old_Skool Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hello,

After losing a lot of time i finally found what the issue was. Our Riverbed devices are on a version that don't allow SMB 3 to pass through. Since we only have it on operating systems that talk SMB 3 this is the issue. To test it i disabled SMB 3 and the issue is resolved.

We're now talking to our provider to upgrade our Riverbed devices to a vesion that allows SMB3

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Susie

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:28 AM
  • Hello,

After losing a lot of time i finally found what the issue was. Our Riverbed devices are on a version that don't allow SMB 3 to pass through. Since we only have it on operating systems that talk SMB 3 this is the issue. To test it i disabled SMB 3 and the issue is resolved.

We're now talking to our provider to upgrade our Riverbed devices to a vesion that allows SMB3

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that and thanks for sharing.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Susie

Friday, March 21, 2014 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

We can refer to the following blog for MDT troubleshooting:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/05/08/mdt-2010-amp-2012-my-deployment-failed-what-and-where-are-logs-i-should-review.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Wu

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:13 AM