Windows taskbar hangs causing programs to lag RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wonder if it is the recent updates but after installing the update, I had this strange problem.

My programs will lag (MS word and powerpoint) causing everything to just hang. My chrome will hang and it will crash too. The taskbar will disappear and reappear after 2-5 minutes. And this has been going on ever since I installed updates.

May I know what updates it is that is causing this to happen? I do not wish to system restore as i did not back my system prior to the update installation. 

Thanks

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding the issue, I suggest you check the issue in Clean Boot to rule out influence of any third party software.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If the issue persists, please run ShellExView to disable all the plug-ins.

Run ShellExView
    ============
    1. Please download the ShellExView to the Desktop from the following link:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the shexview.zip file.
    3. Extract the ZIP file.
    4. Double click shexview.exe.
    5. Run the program and scan the computer.

6. Please press "Ctrl" on the keyboard and click all items which are marked in pink in the list.
    7. Please choose all items and click "File" then "Save selected Items". (For example: File Name: ShellExView, Save as type: HTML File-Horizontal(*.htm;*.html))
    8. Please choose "File" then "Disable Selected Items".
    9. Quit and restart the computer to check the issue again.

Since the issue occurs after installing updates, a system restore is a quick way to resolve this issue. If you do not want to restore the system, please follow the steps below to check what update has been installed recently:

1. Click "Start", type "windows update" (without quotation marks) in the search box and press Enter.
    2. Click “View Update History” and then, choose “Installed Updates”.

Please check the installed updates.

Best regards,
    Della Li

• Proposed as answer by Della Li Friday, February 24, 2012 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, February 24, 2012 7:56 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 7:06 AM