none
How to migrate Documents with versioning info from a file share to SharePoint online

Question

• I have to move 50000 documents from a file share to SPO with the versioning info of all documents.

Most of the documents in the file share have different versions available e.g. abc.v1.doc, abc.v2.doc, abc.v3.doc.

Is there any solution available out of the box or third party which can do this.

Anand

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 10:47 AM

Answers

• I figured out a way  to migrate the document versions from File Share to SPO.

You just need to upload files with the same name and make sure that major versioning is enabled on the Document Library.

Anand

• Marked as answer by Anand yadav Friday, July 8, 2016 9:11 PM
    • Edited by Anand yadav Friday, July 8, 2016 9:13 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 9:11 PM

All replies

• There's quite a few third party tools that can do this.

You can also create your own if you know enough C# or PowerShell but it's a tricky task and with 50k items you're probably best off looking at the ISV options. The challenge will be correctly identifying versions and handling that appropriately without having inadventent collisions.

Avepoint, Metalogix etc are worth looking into.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Check the list of SharePoint Migration Tools that can be used:

http://www.topsharepoint.com/content-migration-tools-for-sharepoint
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 4:31 AM
  • I figured out a way  to migrate the document versions from File Share to SPO.

You just need to upload files with the same name and make sure that major versioning is enabled on the Document Library.

Anand

• Marked as answer by Anand yadav Friday, July 8, 2016 9:11 PM
    • Edited by Anand yadav Friday, July 8, 2016 9:13 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 9:11 PM