none
DNSRegisteredAdapters' keys once changed, will change back to original values. Also, what do these keys do

Question

• Two questions:

1. This first one is a question about what two registry keys do. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > services > Tcpip > Parameters > DNSRegisteredAdapters > *Corresponding NIC*. What are the Flags, and RegisteredSinceBoot keys? What do they do?
    2. I attempt to change the values of these keys. They go back to their original values if I restart, log in, or run ipconfig /registerdns. 

Here is some background. I am on an IT engineering, and I have been looking into a DNS issue we have had for quite some time. The issue is that our AD DNS server records do not update for about half of our machines. We have timestamps dating back a couple of months (I know, I know, scavenge. The team in charge of that is in the process of getting that set). I have been looking into a multitude of things to ensure all computers' DNS records update. 

In my testing, I have checked several machines and notice that those keys mentioned above have the values of- flags = 2, and registeredsinceboot = 1. On the computers that aren't updating their values are 0. I have attempted to change to 2 and 1 on a computer that isn't updating, but the values always revert back to 0. 

Perhaps the issue we are seeing isn't related at all to the keys presented, but if you can help me identify the purpose of these keys, and how to save the values if changed, that would be greatly appreciated. At least for testing purpose. 

Some more info if you'd like:
    Since these are the AD DNS servers, only computers on the domain connect to them (yes, the security settings specify this). I have taken machines that aren't updating off the domain, and re-added them. Their records did not change. I took off machines that are updating, and their DNS records was removed almost immediately. I re-added them and their record was updated in the DNS servers almost immediately.

Also, there were some machines whose DNS records hadn't updated in months, but as soon as I ran ipconfig /renew, and ipconfig /registerdns, they updated. Others didn't update with this. 
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:40 PM

Answers

• I have found something interesting. With two of the machines whose DNS records aren't updating, and with that at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > services >Tcpip >Parameters > DNSREgisteredAdapters > *Corresponding NIC* the keys Flags and RegisteredSinceBoot = 0.

I deleted these two machines manually from the DNS servers, then ran ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /registerdns. Not only did the records finally update in the DNS, but also the keys mention changed to Flags = 2 and RegisterSinceBoot = 1, as with the computers whose DNS records are updating. 

Friday, August 28, 2015 5:16 PM

All replies

• I have found something interesting. With two of the machines whose DNS records aren't updating, and with that at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > services >Tcpip >Parameters > DNSREgisteredAdapters > *Corresponding NIC* the keys Flags and RegisteredSinceBoot = 0.

I deleted these two machines manually from the DNS servers, then ran ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /registerdns. Not only did the records finally update in the DNS, but also the keys mention changed to Flags = 2 and RegisterSinceBoot = 1, as with the computers whose DNS records are updating. 

Friday, August 28, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

It seems you problem has solved, doesn’t it?  If it does, we will marked this case as answer.

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to come back here.  

Best Regards,

Simon

Monday, August 31, 2015 9:05 AM
  • To add onto this solution, it appears that the DNS security settings on the machines that aren't updating within the DNS do not match those that are updating.

So that you can see what I am talking about, within the DNS manager, right click on a machine's entry and select properties. Select the Security tab. You will see "Group or user names" and within that box all the authorized groups and user names. On the ones that are updating the distinct difference seems to be that the computer itself is in there, with special permissions, read and write. On the ones that aren't updating, the computer name is not in the security tab.

So, deleting the entry from the DNS, and then running ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /registerdns would essentially re-register the computer within the DNS, setting the security settings correctly. As of right now, I am unsure as to why some machines have the right security settings, and others don't.

Monday, August 31, 2015 8:51 PM