Deploy printers from a different domain during deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MDT to deploy Windows 10 laptops to remote works who will be at a site with an untrusted domain.

The users will need to add the network printers from another domain while on their LAN. They will have domain user accounts for the other domain, but their laptops will only be members of our domain.

I would like to pre-deploy the printer drivers so end users will be able to connect to these foreign printers without needing admin rights.

Can we install these printer drivers in advance even though we will not have access to connect to the printers during Windows deployment?

Can we completely configure TCP/IP port printers during the OS deployment so printing will just work as soon as they connect to the remote site's LAN?

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:38 PM

All replies

• It would be easier to enable policy to just allow install of printer drivers. I don't recall the policy offhand however.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

• Edited by Ty Glander Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:41 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:41 PM
  • Apparently, there is bug in that feature that can allow malware to install itself with elevated privileges even though it was intended only for installing printers. We would rather just have the required printer drivers already installed in the image.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:22 PM
  • Unfortunately having the drivers staged on the machine won't solve that. When you go to connect to your printer it will still say what driver it needs.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:16 PM
  • Why would having the printer drivers prestaged not help?  Wouldn't it just connect to the printer using those existing drivers rather than install different drivers needing admin rights?
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:30 AM
  • No one requires admin permissions to install printer drivers which is why it is a security issue.  There might be a policy to block the installation but, it isn't the default.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:01 AM
  • We don't have a policy to block users from adding printers.

Some printer installations do pop up UAC prompts to install the printer drivers on Windows 10 Pro workstations and if the user isn't an administrator, they can't add the printer.

The prompt only happens when adding certain printers, not every printer.

We would like to have those drivers added to the image so these drivers don't need to be installed when the user connects to a printer that matches the preinstalled driver.

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:07 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:04 AM