Automatic Replies when forward rule is enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

In our company we have problem with Automatic Replies.

My colleague is out of office and he set Automatic Replies. We have also Shared Mailbox called "info" and we have rule in Exchange - Mail Flow, which forward copy of received mail also to this user, who is currently out of office.

Problem is that sender also receive automatic replies from a colleague even though sender sent mail to shared mailbox.

How can we handle this problem?

Thank you

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:36 PM

All replies

• What exactly does the rule do? There is no "forward a copy" action, it's either "add a recipient" or "redirect". In the first case, what you are seeing is the expected behavior. In case you are using the "forward for approval" action, that's a different use case.
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

Unless the user setup a problem in Outlook to do so under "Automatic Replies" to forward the emails to the shared mailbox.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

I assume you create the transport rule like : if recipient is sharemailbox@yourdomain.com , and cc this message to one user, let me call it user1. Now user1 is OOF and set the auto replies, when user send message to shared mailbox will receive a OOF replies, right? If any misunderstanding, please feel free to post out.

Per my test, the transport rule or using the command below, the sender will always receive the OOF messages.

Set-Mailbox -Identity "shared1@contoso.com" -DeliverToMailboxAndForward $true -ForwardingSMTPAddress administrator@contoso.com

It’s recommend to use inbox rule to forward the messages that send to share mailbox to the users, then the sender should not receive the OOF messages, but the shared mailbox would receive that.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Monday, November 27, 2017 8:06 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:05 AM
  • Thank you for replies.

Yes, I use transport rule for forwarding mail. Picture below.

Problem with forwarding from inbox rule is that in this case recipient get mail from shared mailbox and not from orginal sender.

Is there no other solution?

Thank you

Matjaz | MS Partner | Slovenia

• Edited by MatjazWom Monday, November 27, 2017 11:11 AM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 11:06 AM
  • Thanks for your response.

Per my test, there no other ways. It's a by design behavior.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:10 AM