none
Two questions pertaining to timesheet of MS Project 2013: Overtime, actual non-billable and overtime non-billable are grayed out for some tasks, but not all, why?; Planned hours are subject to change relative to Actual (timetype) time input by user, why? RRS feed

• General discussion

• 1. Overtime, actual non-billable and overtime non-billable are grayed out for some tasks, but not all?

2. Planned hours are subject to change relative to Actual (timetype) time input by user, how can we control this behavior?

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:57 AM

All replies

• Sherwin Yoong --

1.  You can only enter overtime, actual non-billable, and overtime non-billable on project tasks.  You cannot enter this information on Administrative tasks.

2.  The mantra to keep in mind when using Microsoft Project and Project Server is:  Actuals always replace estimates.  In practical terms, if a task has 8 hours of Work planned on a day, and the team member enters only 5 hours of Actual Work, the new Work for that day is now 5 hours, not 8 hours.  This is what a team member will see in the Timesheet page in PWA, and this is what the PM will see for that task in the Microsoft Project plan.  This is the default behavior of the tool, and there is no way to prevent or control this behavior.  If the PM needs to see the original amount of planned work, he/she needs to save a Baseline in the project prior to publishing the project, and then he/she can see the original planned work amount in the Baseline Work field.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, November 30, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Hi Dale Howard, Thanks for the help on my 2nd point :). On my first point, I'm referring to projects tasks indeed, sorry for not being specific in my first question. i can enter overtime for some project tasks that has not started, but i cannot enter overtime for project tasks that already started (based on project start time) and going to due soon (project end time) as the overtime box is grayed out. Does this make sense to you?
    Friday, November 30, 2012 3:25 PM