none
BMR Restore - Bizarre Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I've succesfully been protecting a server with BMR, but my boss has now asked me to prove I can complete a Bare Metal Restore. So I began following the article here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/12/performing-a-bare-metal-restore-with-dpm-2010.aspx

I successfully got to the point of restoring the BMR data to a drive on another computer protected by DPM. However when I try to navigate to the folder where WindowsImageBackup is supposed to have been restored to I get an error stating that the folder "DPM_Recovered_At_5-4-2011_3.58.47pm refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted etc etc" 

I tried a second time with exactly the same result. I know the data is on the drive becuase it's capacity has reduced by exactly the amount DPM said it would.

Yet in the article above the author happily can navigate to this folder on his server and share it. What has gone wrong for me? I should note the folder I restored to is on a Fixed Size VHD on a VM, could that have screwed things up?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:28 AM

Answers

• Not entirely correct on the resolution, strangely eliminating the trailing period doesn't help, I tried that. There's only 2 ways I've found that work, the first is to change the Locale settings of the DPM SERVER to USA, then the periods are not used when the folder is generated. This is probably the easiest way.

The other way is to open a Admin command prompt and navigate to the folder 1 level up from the folder that errors, if you try to CD into the erroring folder you'll get a "Path not found" error. BUT if you use the short 8.3 DOS name ie "cd DPM_Re~1" THEN you can get into it. So I just opened an Administrator command prompt and renamed the folder using "Rename DPM_Re~1 DPM" and then it all worked fine after that.

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Great work.  Thanks for posting what you found.  I will get the blog updated.  To bring this full circle and get the information in this thread, I will recap.

When walking through a BMR restore, after the files have been restored to a location which is then shared out, when trying to connect to that share or navigate to the folder locally, you may get the errors:

C:\BMR\DPM_5-11-2011_20.19.29\DPM_Recovered_At_5-12-2011_12.10.52.odp. refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again.  If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

Browsing to this folder will give the error: "They system cannot find the path specified."

This error is known to happen when the restore location ends with a period '.'  This can happen based on the locale settings as some locales will use a period after the date/time.

To resolve this issue, on the computer where the files were restored, open an administrative command prompt and navigate to the folder right before the folder ending with a period.

C:\BMR\DPM_5-11-2011_20.19.29> dir

Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 1245-8090

Directory of C:\BMR\DPM_5-11-2011_20.19.29

11.05.2011 12:10 <dir> .
    11.05.2011 12:10 <dir> ..
    11.05.2011 12:10 <dir> DPM_Recovered_At_5-12-2011_12.10.52.odp.

C:\BMR\DPM_5-11-2011_20.19.29>ren DPM_Re~1 DPMRecovery

11.05.2011 12:10 <dir> DPMRecovery

The folder \DPMRecovery can now be navigated to and shared out as needed.

(Thanks to Microsoft Designertech for digging up this answer)

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:16 PM

All replies

• Okay, it sounds like you are at Step 9 of the blog page.  From inside that VM where you restored the files, when you navigate to the directory where the restore is, you are getting the error.  Based on that, the problem is somewhere with that VM/OS.  I would start by verifying there is enough space on that VHD (although I would think so since the restore happened).  The best thing is to restore to an alternate drive.  Maybe you could create a new VHD and attach just to test this.  You could also try restoring some files (if you have any standard protection) to the drive you are trying now to see if that works.  You will need the OS where the files exist to be able to be shared.

Another idea to test is to share out the level above DPM_Recovered_At...., and then from another server, navigate to the share and then see if you can navigate down to the WindowsImageBackup directory.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I've tried all your suggestions with the exact same result, leading me to wonder if the actual BMR backup itself is not as healthy as DPM is leading me to believe. I'm still getting the same "Refers to a Location that is unavailable" error, and of course another 10GB of disk space is lost as I cannot delete the folder either as it "Unavailable". Lucky I'm using a .vhd I can just delete. Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Surely someone on the DPM team or using the software has seen this or knows why it is happening.

Thanks

Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:22 PM
  • AHA! I have found some postings on this forum:

http://www.ms-news.net/f770/invalid-directory-name-restoring-system-state-or-bmr-with-dpm-2010-a-11916606.html

It seems it is related to locale settings! A really stupid bug to be honest and one that should be fixed ASAP

Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Great work.  Thanks for posting what you found.  I will get the blog updated.  To bring this full circle and get the information in this thread, I will recap.

When walking through a BMR restore, after the files have been restored to a location which is then shared out, when trying to connect to that share or navigate to the folder locally, you may get the errors:

C:\BMR\DPM_5-11-2011_20.19.29\DPM_Recovered_At_5-12-2011_12.10.52.odp. refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again.  If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

Browsing to this folder will give the error: "They system cannot find the path specified."

This error is known to happen when the restore location ends with a period '.'  This can happen based on the locale settings as some locales will use a period after the date/time.

To resolve this issue, on the computer where the files were restored, open an administrative command prompt and navigate to the folder right before the folder ending with a period.

11.05.2011 12:10 <dir> DPM_Recovered_At_5-12-2011_12.10.52.odp.

C:\BMR\DPM_5-11-2011_20.19.29>ren DPM_Re~1 DPMRecovery

11.05.2011 12:10 <dir> DPMRecovery

The folder \DPMRecovery can now be navigated to and shared out as needed.

(Thanks to Microsoft Designertech for digging up this answer)

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Not entirely correct on the resolution, strangely eliminating the trailing period doesn't help, I tried that. There's only 2 ways I've found that work, the first is to change the Locale settings of the DPM SERVER to USA, then the periods are not used when the folder is generated. This is probably the easiest way.

The other way is to open a Admin command prompt and navigate to the folder 1 level up from the folder that errors, if you try to CD into the erroring folder you'll get a "Path not found" error. BUT if you use the short 8.3 DOS name ie "cd DPM_Re~1" THEN you can get into it. So I just opened an Administrator command prompt and renamed the folder using "Rename DPM_Re~1 DPM" and then it all worked fine after that.

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I will try testing some in my lab environment to get all the possible solutions and update both the blot and this post accordingly.  Thanks again.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:46 PM
  • One final note on this.  It appears that the issue has been identified and will hopefully be fixed in the next versioni of DPM.
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:17 PM