none
How to enter different % allocations across different period on the same Task, for a resource RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to use MS Project to illustrate utilization of resources across different projects within our organizations. This is purely for the purposes of seeing utlization, availability and make future resource assignments accordingly. For this, I have created an MS Project file and a plan/WBS structure within it. I have decomposed the plan into several tasks & subtasks, but basically each lowest level tasks represents a Project (or initiative) within my organization. Lets say I have Project1 (Starts 1/1/17 Ends 6/30/17) as a task & John Doe will work 25% (1/1 -3/30), then 50% (3/30-5/30), then 30% (5/30-6/30), how do I then assign John Doe to different % allocations for different periods on the same task? I want to do this without having to decompose the task further, because it really is a project (Project1) & I am just trying to visualize John Doe's utilization across Project1, just like I will for John Doe on another Project2 (which will also be defined as a task in the plan). The end result would be that I know John Doe's monthly utilization across projects.
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:55 PM

All replies

• Well, the easy way is to chop the project up into three stages and assign the guy at those percentages to each stage. Link the three stages as predecessor/successor.

Another way is to use the task usage view and edit the hours for each day.

But the secret really is to be prepared to "decompose" the project into stages or tasks. As long as you resist doing that there will be difficulties.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:53 PM
  • nemesis7,

I fully agree with Trevor's assessment and suggestions. Let me add the following suggestion. If you do expand each "project" into subtasks, make sure you assign the resources to the subtasks only and remove them from the summary level.

John

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:49 PM