Disable "Tool-tips" in Non-Explorer Applications - How? RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen in the “Microsoft Answers” website, questions and proposed solutions to the problem of “tool-tips” that obscure the contents of a window when the cursor “hovers” over items.  Unfortunately, the solutions only apply to Windows Explorer, and the similar processes.  The registry key path often provided even includes the limitation for “Explorer” only: (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced: ShowInfoTip = 0)

What we really need is a means to disable the “tool-tip” boxes/banners in other applications, such as IE, Outlook, other MS Office programs and non-Microsoft programs.

As an aside, we know how to change the "ShowInfoTip" (a.k.a. “pop-up description”) setting in Windows Explorer by one of these easily found methods, that do not use "regedit":

·         Menu Bar/Tools/Folder Options/View tab/ uncheck “Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items”.

·         Tool Bar/Organize/Folder and Search Options/View tab/ uncheck “Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items”.

Please do not repeat this non-applicable solution.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, Microsoft just provide the way do disable “too-tip” in Windows Explorer. As we know that, different software have different architecture, they may use different way to call “tool-tip”. Therefore, it’s very difficult to find methods to change this setting. I am sorry about that. I hope you should adapt to this setting, anyway it can provide more useful information.

Finally, I hope you can get more sense from the topic about “tool-tip”:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511495.aspx

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, August 5, 2012 2:38 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 8:40 AM