none
Screen saver with locking password not working

Question

• Well, I've read about 30 posts and did everything that I think is possible to make this screen saver work.. still not working.

This is an AD domain with Windows 2008R2 DC, windows 7 (x86 and x64) clients.. The group policy is enabled and appears to be an applied User GPO.. From the client, I run gpresult and and RSoP and it showed that the GP was applied and the only one configuring this setting..but the client shows no screen saver.. 

The GP looks fine

The RSoP says that it is being applied

Looks like it's the only GPO for this setting

I'm stumped.. I tried different usernames, but all look the same.. This is a VM workstation but other GP's are working.. I've rebooted the workstation several times, forced GP (gpupdate /force) with no luck.

William McConnell

• Edited by WillieMac99 Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:45 PM

Answers

• You selected logon.scr as the screen saver. This file isn't present in
    Win7 anymore - use scrnsave.scr instead.

(Remark: If the screen saver file is invalid, the screen saver will not
    kick in...)

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by WillieMac99 Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:16 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:11 AM
  • You are correct.. I made some assumptions on the screen saver.. I will use scrnsave.scr or ssText3d.scr as these appear to be on all the workstations.  The actual screen saver screen is still showing no screen saver, but in reality, the GP is being applied because when I go on the client, in the screen saver, the timeout time was changed, the check box to force a login is changed and the settings are grayed out.. Not sure why it still shows  "screen saver None". when you right click on the desktop and select personalize.

Thanks for the heads up.

William McConnell

Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you check if the screensaver file is present in %sytemroot%\system32?

When the system cannot find the screensaver file you have specified it will ignore the setting. If you Specify the short file name you need to be sure that the file is available in the system32 directory.

Regards

• Edited by Avendil Wednesday, March 30, 2016 8:39 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:49 PM
  • You selected logon.scr as the screen saver. This file isn't present in
    Win7 anymore - use scrnsave.scr instead.

(Remark: If the screen saver file is invalid, the screen saver will not
    kick in...)

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:03 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, for Force specific screen saver, the specific screen saver should be on the computer which the policy applies.

We cannot set a network path for it.

We could copy the file by logon script.

for more information, you could refer to the similar thread below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0345f28c-ff55-4c0c-a1fc-80519adf7fb8/question-how-to-set-network-path-for-screensaver-photos-through-gpo?forum=winserverGP

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:30 AM
  • You are correct.. I made some assumptions on the screen saver.. I will use scrnsave.scr or ssText3d.scr as these appear to be on all the workstations.  The actual screen saver screen is still showing no screen saver, but in reality, the GP is being applied because when I go on the client, in the screen saver, the timeout time was changed, the check box to force a login is changed and the settings are grayed out.. Not sure why it still shows  "screen saver None". when you right click on the desktop and select personalize.

Thanks for the heads up.

William McConnell

Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:16 PM