none
Set-WmiInstance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm trying to modify a BIOS setting on my Dell laptop that will allow the laptop to be powered on automatically.  I used the following to view the current settings:

Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\dcim\sysman -Class DCIM_BIOSEnumeration | Where-Object {$_.AttributeName -eq "Auto On"}

I use the Where-Object filter because without it multiple objects are returned.  How would you use the Set-WmiInstance to update a property in this case?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, April 9, 2015 6:18 PM

Answers

• Since this is a DELL extension you really should post in the Dell forum.  THe enumeration is not how you read or set the BIOS.  It is just a list of all possible settings and the possible values.  You have to get the specific setting to change it.

(gwmi DCIM-BIOSService -namespace root\dcim\sysman).SetBIOSAttributes($null,$null,'Auto On',$true)

Start here: http://www.energizedtech.com/2012/09/using-powershell-and-the-dell.html

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by queens76dc Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:54 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:56 PM

All replies

• Since this is a DELL extension you really should post in the Dell forum.  THe enumeration is not how you read or set the BIOS.  It is just a list of all possible settings and the possible values.  You have to get the specific setting to change it.

(gwmi DCIM-BIOSService -namespace root\dcim\sysman).SetBIOSAttributes($null,$null,'Auto On',$true)

Start here: http://www.energizedtech.com/2012/09/using-powershell-and-the-dell.html

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by queens76dc Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:54 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:56 PM
  • Thanks for your reply JRV!

That command you provided allowed me to change the setting.  Thank you for the article VERY helpful!

• Edited by queens76dc Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:58 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:58 PM
  • You are welcome.  It was just a guess as I don 't have immediate access to a system with DCIM installed.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:34 PM