Windows 7 & IAG (Whale Client Components) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

as a Microsoft and Windows Enthusiast i have testet Windows 7 Beta and now the RC!

On a "normal way" i don´t get the Whale Client Compents and the Network Connector not installed. Now i have a workaround not a solution because this method and IAG/Whale Client Components are not offical supportet from Microsoft under Windows 7.
    I hope i can help other IAG users and the hole community with this.

Her is the Workaround that works for me under Windows 7 (x86):
    - Locate the Directory "OfflineClientSetup" from the IAG-SP2 and extract the Complete OfflineClientSetup Diretory for example to c:\temp.
    - browse to Whale Client Components "Setup.exe" and set the compatibility mode to "Windows Vista SP2"
    - browse to "ClientCompoents.xml" locate the entry for the Network Connector set it to "1
    - now start the installation of the Whale Client Components with the "Setup.exe" (as Administrator)
    - Your can use normal or custom setup and start the installation (Attention: at the end of the setup the is a failure you can ignore "Can not register Whale Client Components whlvaw.dll") - end the Setup
    start cmd oder PowerShell as administrator (!) and switch to the path  "C:\Program Files\Whale Communications\Client Components\3.1.0
    - execute the command: "regsvr32 whlvaw.dll" (Attention: Ignore the Warning about the Driver isntallation and select YES!
    - Now you you your IAG Portal to login and start the Network Connector! But this only successful if you start the Internet Explorer as a Administrator, because the file "whlioc.exe" & "whliocsv.exe" would launched with local administrator rights!

I hope this helps the hole community out the, who test Windows 7, because WINDOWS 7 ROCKZ!

Screenshots: http://cid-966b26a11278266e.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Windows%207%20IAG%20Client%20Components

Greetz Joerg
    • Moved by Keith Alabaster Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:28 PM New Forum created for IAG/UAG (From:Forefront Edge Security - General)
    Monday, May 18, 2009 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi guys,

Thank you for posting and sharing.

Regars,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Joerg,

great blog post. I already created a blog post on my website and linked it to your blog.

regards Marc
    www-nt-faq.de
    www.it-training-grote.de
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Hi guys,

Thank you for posting and sharing.

Regars,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Hi all,

I already create a workaround, but not as complete as it and in French
    http://www.alexgiraud.net/blog/Lists/Billets/Post.aspx?ID=51

Thanks for your sharing and that's ok : Windows 7 Rockssssss :-)

Regards,
    Alex
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

For complementary information, we encounter another problem for a connection to IAG from Windows 7.
    The user has checked TLS 1.2 in Advanced Settings of IE. If unchecked, all is fine.

Regards,
    Alex
    GIRAUD Alexandre - MVP Forefront France - http://www.alexgiraud.net/blog
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Works great

Thank you for the guide :-)
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:15 PM
  • We have tried the procedure whit IAG 2007 SP2 Update 2, and did not get it to work. The install worked like described, but it won't work propely when it runs in Internet Explorer, meaning the client dont recognize that the antivirus and firewall are turned on.

Any tips will be appreciated!
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:38 PM
  • Hello - I have purhcased Celestix IAG 2007 appliances for our company and am right in the middle of the implementation.  I have looked over this thread as well as many others on windows 7 compatibility with IAG and find answers such as this thread (sp2 update2) is compatible with windows 7 and IE8 but without NC.  This is somewhat frustrating as we are pushing Windows 7 very hard (we were TAP for vista / TAP for 7) and are moving quickly on our windows 7 pilot.  On a parallel path is our initiative to open access to applications from the internet without the need for  a full layer 3 vpn.  long story short - IAG won the bakeoff, but windows 7 wasn't in the mix when we did the bakeoff (wasn't available yet).  Now I am stuck until Celestix comes out with an update (projected Jan or Feb 2010 timeframe.

My question - I have sp2 update 2 installed and I am on rtm of windows 7 / however I get the screen that the whale components are not installed and can not be so I need to use reduced functionality etc..  Did the messaging above change for compatibility of whale components for windows 7 and IE8 compatibility in update 2?

Although this is a great workaround - it seems very very complex to get IAG 2007 working for thousands of users :)

thanks,
    -Jason
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Thanks for the workaround, but for me this didn't work because we do not use the Network Connector currently but have got a Remote Desktop application configured. After going through the config file I also saw that the Socket Forwarding components where not enabled for installation.

Enable the components as shown below in the config file to get socket forwarding to work on Windows 7 in addition to the Network Connector.

<Component Name="Socket Forwarding" ID="8" Install="1"/>
    <Component Name="Socket Forwarding activation: Basic" ID="33" Install="1"/>
    <Component Name="Socket Forwarding activation: Extended" ID="65" Install="1"/>
    <Component Name="Socket Forwarding activation: VPN" ID="129" Install="1"/>
    <Component Name="Socket Forwarding Helper Utility" ID="9" Install="1"/>

Regards,

Marcel
    Monday, December 7, 2009 1:52 PM
  • So... Everything went smoothly... The connector installs, negotiates with the server, and connects!  However, when it tries adding the routes to the new network, it fails with:  "Whale Network Connector session failed.  Failed to add session routes (0x80004005)."  I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise.  I've tried it on 2 different laptops with IE and Firefox (both running as Administrator) and they both yield the same error.

Anyone else have this error, or is it just me?

Rob McKennon
    Unix Admin
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:25 PM
  • No workarounds needed soon!

http://forums.forefrontsecurity.org/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1212

Cheers

JJ
    Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Hi  Jason and everyone else on this thread.

I may be stating the obvious, or I may be making an irrelevant remark.

It seems to me that this thread focuses on using IAG’s Network Connector on Windows 7 clients. And it also seems to me that the mention about “no workaround needed soon” because of the release of IAG SP2 Update3 is also related to NC on Win7.

So just to make sure everyone understands – IAG SP2 Update3 does not add support for Network Connector running on Windows7 clients.  IAG SP2 Update3 adds support for Windows 7 and Vista x64 clients in general, for example for features like the Attachment Wiper or Endpoint Detection, however NC is still not supported from Windows 7 clients, and this is not planned to change in the future. This is because on Windows 7 clients this functionality is achieved by using SSTP instead of NC, but unfortunately, on the server side, only UAG supports SSTP, while IAG does not.

So for those in need of supporting VPN-like connectivity from Windows 7 clients, as well as from Vista and XP clients, UAG is your option.

-Ran

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Hi Ran,

Thanks for the clarification; it looks like I got carried away and should have noticed the thread was 'NC specific'...I was focusing on the new support for Windows 7 client components not NC specifically...

Cheers

JJ
    Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Hey Joerg,

thanks for the solution. You could have told me this earlier, for example while walking to the volkspark (insider?).

Thanks&Regards,

Nigoooh

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 7:39 PM
  • we are published two web based applications. out of two, one is working fine. if click another application it says page can not be display.

client & server configuration are same.

kesav
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I have exactly the same error. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Could you solve the routes issue?

Regards,

Guillermo.

Monday, January 17, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Guillermo / Rob,

Did you resolve the issues regarding the routes? I'm having the same problem today.

Regards,

David

Friday, May 27, 2011 12:02 PM