none
DoSnapshotSet failed with status error 0x80042306 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are using Micro Focus VM Explorer 7.1 (used to be called Trilead VMX Explorer) to backup hyper-v vms, but randomly we get backup failures with this error message:

"DoSnapshotSet failed with status error 0x80042306"

It looks to be related with the event IDs found on the hyper-v 2012 r2 host numbered: 5120 / 5217 and 16010

Significantly this event code 5120 "Cluster Shared Volume 'Volume3' ('Cluster Disk 4') has entered a paused state because of '(c0130021)'. All I/O will temporarily be queued until a path to the volume is reestablished"

Seems to cause the vm backup failure.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this fixed?

thank you in advance

steve

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1. Please Try to use Microsoft build-in’s backup tool Windows Server backup to see if it can work fine.

Since this is windows server backup forum, we mainly focus on the related problem about back up server with Windows build-in backup feature. For other 3rd party software, we suggest you could also contact the vendor for more support.

2. Please run “vssadmin list providers” and “vssadmin list writers” and upload the screenshot.

3. Do you have multiple backup tools installed on your system? If so, try to uninstall them and try again.

4. Is there enough space for the backup destination?

5. Where is your VHD, is it in CSV?

6. Do you run multiple backup tasks at the same time?

For more information, you can see here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/back-up-hyper-v-virtual-machines?view=sc-dpm-2019

http://www.amicuk.com/dpm-2012-r2-backup-causes-redirected-csv-io-on-sofs-cluster/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

https://www.backupassist.com/support/en/knowledgebase/BA904-Volume-Shadow-Copy-Error-0x80042306-provider-veto.html?cshid=BA904

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks for your time and please feel free to let me know if you have any question, if my reply if helpful, please don’t forget mark it as an answer.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:22 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

1. I cannot get the Windows Server Backup working, I think it is just my powershell commands rather than being linked to the DosSnapshotset issue.  In any case the backups work using VM Explorer it is just out of 50 or so backups 1 of them will be a DoSnapshotSet failure and usually not the same VM.

2.I cannot add screenshots as my account is not yet verified, but the providers and writers all look to be microsoft based however.

3. No other backups tool are in use - only VM Explorer Agent

4. Yes there is enough space on destination

5. Yes the VHD and VHDX files are on CSV

6. Yes we do! and this is potentially the cause of the problem, but I cannot do much about this.

yours sincerely

steve.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:11 PM
  • As you are using a third party application and it is reporting the error, you should contact the third party for support.

tim

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:29 PM
  • Yes I have done and they are saying this:

So this basically a condition that is caused outside VM Explorer, there are many passible reasons for this. I have done a web research for you and found a document that sums up the common causes for it. So please check this out:

https://kb.backupassist.com/print.php?aid=2965

I have checked out the document and it is one of the links that is very similar to what Daniel suggested.  Here is what I found from the link:

Known Cause 1 - Multiple backup solution installed  - I'm pretty sure it is not this as I only have VM Explorer Agent installed on the hyper-v host

Know Cause 2 - Shadow storage on the source drives is not configured or not large enough - this could potentially be the problem although I can't seem to find a way of seeing how much shadow storage is configured for my CSV volumes.  The commands only work for local volumes and not say c:\clusterstorage

Known Cause 3 - Scheduling Conflict - Yes this could be it! But is there a work around? (not microsoft's fault but why can't my backup software offer an option to not use VSS if there a job conflict with VSS and then show a warning rather than fail the job?)

Known Cause 4 - Destination drives not formatted in NTFS - This can't be it as my backups works 99% of the time and I would assume if it was this then it either would work or it wouldn't

Known Cause 5 - High disk activity when snapshot being performed - This could be it, but some of the VMs its failed on have not necessary been ones that get lots of disk activity. Is there a timeout increase reg hack I can add?

thanks guys

steve.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply!

1. Does the command show that all writers are No Error? Especially Hyper-V VSS Writer.

2. Have you created checkpoints for your VMs? If so, please try to merge them first and then try again.

3. Please help me look at the Event ID 5120 detail error message in Event Viewer.

It looks like this:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering

Event ID:      5120

Task Category: Cluster Shared Volume

Level:         Error

Description:

Cluster Shared Volume 'Volume1' ('Cluster Disk 1') is no longer available on this node because of'STATUS_VOLUME_DISMOUNTED(C000026E)'. All I/O will temporarily be queued until a path to the volume is reestablished.

You can refer to this link:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Failover-Clustering/Troubleshooting-Cluster-Shared-Volume-Auto-Pauses-8211-Event/ba-p/371994

Anyway, at present, we can only give you as many suggestions as possible, but because you are using a third-party backup tool, we can not know its internal working mechanism, so it is difficult to say whether the problem has anything to do with the backup tool. So, I suggest that while we troubleshooting with  you, you should contact the backup tool provider again, and ask them to provide more in-depth suggestion.

Thanks for your understanding and please feel free to let me know if you have any question, if my reply if helpful, please don’t forget mark it as an answer.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:33 AM
  • 1. yes they are say "No errors"

2. there are no outstanding checkpoints and in any case the failures are random or intermittant

3. I'll look into the link but I believe ive already added the hotfixes

4. like I say I've contacted vm explorer and they are pointing me to microsoft....

Thursday, May 16, 2019 6:33 AM
  • "like I say I've contacted vm explorer and they are pointing me to microsoft…."

I see third parties try to pass the buck to Microsoft all the time.  Too many times when I see this, it still turns out to be an issue with the third party software.

Since you are talking about CSVs, the first thing to ask the VM Explorer support folks is whether or not they have tested their product in a clustered environment and that they support it when used against CSVs. There are differences between working on a cluster disk and a cluster shared volume.  Then ask if they have tested across different versions and if they support it there.

tim

Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:02 PM
  • yes Tim I agree it is very annoying.

to be honest I think it is a bit of both, I think the ultimate reason I am getting these intermittent failures with the dosnapshotset error is because my backup system is so busy with lots of jobs running at the same time.  We do this to make full use of nightly backup window, not doing this means our backups will run over into production time - not good.

I have suggested to VM Explorer to add an option to "Do not use VSS if there is an issue with VSS" so that the backup still runs - however with a warning that data consistency may not be top notch.  I am aware this may require extra development on their side, but that is their job and not mine!  I shouldn't have to worry about how many of my backup jobs are close to each other and occasionally run at the same time.

I am now as we chat testing vembu's vmbackup for hyper-v to see that can give me an acceptable solution, but it will be difficult to know how it handles multiple backup jobs until I put it into production.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:26 PM
  • To be honest, it's hard to tell whether the problem is Microsoft or VM EXPLORER, so I asked you to try using Microsoft's own backup tool. Generally speaking, if the build-in backup tool backup VM is wrong, we think it's Microsoft's problem. If the build-in backup tool backup VM is successful, we will think it's a third-part problem. At present, trying to change a backup tool is a way to do it.

Friday, May 17, 2019 2:36 AM
  • with respect you are talking about a huge undertaking in changing the backup system.  I would need change the backups of all 200 vms in order to re-create the same testing platform,  I cannot do this as it would disrupt the production system quite heavily. 

Although this issue is an issue it currently isn't a huge issue so I cannot risk more issues by swapping the backup's over.  (also in any case the Microsoft Backup Tool gui doesn't work when connecting to Hyper 2012 R2 core servers - it just produces the "incorrect parameter" message, lots of other people have this issue and I'm not going down that road now.......).

Friday, May 17, 2019 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

At present, I still recommend that you ask VM Explorer vendors for the next step. As Tim said, they need to confirm the compatibility of tools with CSV, rather than simply give some advice, and then push the problem to Microsoft. Now it seems that the way we test with our own backup tools is no longer possible, so we need them to provide the evidence that the problem was not caused by their backup tool.

In addition, please rest assured that we will always provide you with as much help as possible.

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Daniel

Friday, May 17, 2019 6:56 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:34 AM