Delete the activation key before apply sysprep RRS feed

• Question

• Hello !

I shoulde delete the activation key in a Vista Corporate version, this  version is already activated (at the origin because corporate edition)

I must do taht beacause I'd like to install vista with a automatic system unattended.xml withe a sysprep

Same if I try to force in the unattend to tell the serial number Vista don't ask it !

Like if it was writ in the install file ....

I use AIK for the automatic install program ...

really sorry for my English .... I'm french (is it really so bad ?)

Thank

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:48 PM

All replies

• mims64,

If you mean "Vista Enterprise" and not "Vista Business" (there is no "Vista Corporate" that I am aware of) then you need to rebuild your image.  The problem is that the key used stays as part of the image to prevent people from simply taking a sysprep'ed copy of an image and distributing it to the Internet.

When you create your image, do NOT specify a producy key.  Leaving it blank works just fine.

Also, if you use MAK to activate instead of KMS, then you have a limited number of activations that is typically 10% of your company's total.  If you use that key to activate in your image, you will run out of activations quickly.  If you use the KMS key, then you turn every imaged workstation into a KMS server, and you don't want that, either.  By leaving the key out of the image entirely and placing one KMS server in the environment (more can be placed as needed), you have the activation you need and have an image you can use.  To understand the difference between the two, see this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb335291.aspx  You will have to install one KMS server, and you will have to either add the KMS server to DNS or use a two-line batch file to activate after installing.

Good luck!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:54 PM