Delete Microsoft Edge RRS feed

• Question

• How does one completely remove MS Edge from their computer. When I click on the internet icon, I don't EVER want MS Edge to pop up.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Smitfraud_C,

Microsoft Edge is built-in with Windows 10. It is not available to remove it. As a word around, we could try to rename the MicrosoftEdge.exe and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe
    as MicrosoftEdge.exe.old and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe.old to disable it.
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

As ZigZag3143x suggested, we could configure Internet Explorer 11 as the default program.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set your default program

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 9:19 AM

All replies

• You can choose what ever browser you want as default but you cannot remove Edge by normal means

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:59 AM
  • Hi Smitfraud_C,

Microsoft Edge is built-in with Windows 10. It is not available to remove it. As a word around, we could try to rename the MicrosoftEdge.exe and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe
    as MicrosoftEdge.exe.old and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe.old to disable it.
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

As ZigZag3143x suggested, we could configure Internet Explorer 11 as the default program.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set your default program

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 9:19 AM
  • When I click on the internet icon, I don't EVER want MS Edge to pop up.

That icon is the Edge icon. If you click at it, Edge will open up.
    It might resemble the Internet Explorer icon but it is not.

If you don't want even to see it at all.................
    right click at the Edge icon at taskbar > click unpin from taskbar.
    right click at Edge tile at Start Menu > click unpin from Start.

• Edited by david hk129 Wednesday, December 23, 2015 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 4:14 PM
  • Hi Smitfraud_C,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:17 AM
  • I believe you, yet on my samsung notebook 7 I am unable to do this. I can remove the main browser, and I can reset it to explorer but it will not allow me to simply choose chrome as a default browser. I just want to be able to use google spread sheet without internet. 
    Saturday, December 10, 2016 10:22 PM