Conditional Email Relay RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, Everyone

I would need some suggestions on setting up exhange server to use an internal email relay server conditionally. Here below is the scenario:

I have 2 MS Exchange servers for 2 customers respectively: abc and xyz. They are on 2 different internal networks and they can not talk directly. I want to setup a email relay server to relay email from x@abc.com to x@xyz.com, vice versa. In another way to discribe this: I want to put a static DNS record for xyz.com on abc's exchange server, so that it will send email to relay server if destination email is on xyz.com domain and relay server forward email to xyz's exchange server; Similiar setup on xyz's exchange server. If destination email is on any other domains, send normally to internet.

So is this possible? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    /S
    Friday, July 27, 2012 3:48 PM

All replies

• You don't need a relay server for that if you have a network path between the two Exchange servers.  Simply configure a send connector on abc's Exchange server with address space of xyz, and a smart host of xyz's Exchange server's DNS name or IP address.  And vice-versa.

If you want a relay server, you can certainly put one in-between.  You can use a Windows SMTP Service server for that.  You don't need, or want, Exchange for this.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Jamestechman Friday, July 27, 2012 4:12 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 4:11 PM
  • You don't need a relay server for that if you have a network path between the two Exchange servers.  Simply configure a send connector on abc's Exchange server with address space of xyz, and a smart host of xyz's Exchange server's DNS name or IP address.  And vice-versa.

If you want a relay server, you can certainly put one in-between.  You can use a Windows SMTP Service server for that.  You don't need, or want, Exchange for this.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thanks, there is no communication between those 2 exchange servers, unless traffic flow out of firewall and coming in again.

I am planning to configure a linux server for this job and was wondering if any risk of doing so.

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:13 PM
  • If you can configure a Linux server for that, then you can certainly connect the servers without the Linux server.  I think adding the Linux server just complicates things. 

You can also send the traffic over the Internet.  It's just SMTP.

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:26 PM
  • U mind helping me explain alittle more on this?

The setup I have is firewall connects 2 internal networks: abc and xyz. They both go through the firewall to Internet. They are NATed to unique public IP addresses. I am trying to put the relay server on external/dmz side of the firewall to help email fly from abc to xyz, vice versa.

So please help explain how to get 2 mail servers email each other without relay server.

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:51 PM
  • There's no reason you can't configure the firewalls to direct the traffic between the two SMTP servers.  I'm not in a position to tell you how to configure your firewalls and NAT to do that, but I know it can be done.

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:00 AM