How can I create and manage SharePoint online sites for customers without using their Office 365 accounts? RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

I'm SharePoint developer, using SharePoint online.

As you know, when you create a SharePoint online site you should have Office 365 account.

When I want to create a SharePoint site for customers, sometimes they don't want to give me one of their account for that issue, and I can't force them to buy an additional account for me, is there any other way for creating and managing customers sites without using their accounts? 

Note:
    Most of the times I'm using Microsoft Flow with my SharePoint sites.

Thursday, August 27, 2020 3:03 PM

Answers

• Once you share a site with an authenticated external user:

An invitation containing a link to the site or document is sent to the user via email
    Once they log in using their Microsoft account, they are given access to the content and added into the users list in your Office 365 subscription.
    The new user is seen listed with #EXT#in their user name
    Once the external user is added to your user list, you can directly give them access to other sites or documents without sending them additional invitations.
    In case you wish to discontinue sharing with the guest users, either remove them from the user list in Office 365 or remove their permissions from the site.

I hope this helps you with SharePoint online migration.

• Marked as answer by Zanest_Avesta Tuesday, September 1, 2020 7:48 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2020 1:05 PM
  • And register to Microsoft Partner program and have Delegated Admin Rights will not be solution? With this you can access certain Admin Centers with your account inside their tenant.
    • Marked as answer by Zanest_Avesta Tuesday, September 1, 2020 7:49 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2020 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi

When you say they don't want to give your their account, you mean they don't want you to login with their account and pwd?

What about you create the site first and then modify permission, add the customer's account as site collection admin.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Learn Microsoft 365 from Microsoft DOCs now!
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Friday, August 28, 2020 1:25 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

Yes, I can do that, but the customers are always want to support their sites, they need modification and adding new features.

As I know, I cant support them without using one of their account with owner permission.

do you think there is an alternative way for that issue?

Saturday, August 29, 2020 8:39 AM
  • Per your description, do you mean you don't have any account that can create site for the customers?

In this situation, you may need to provide a tool or script which customers and execute to create site by entering account information by themselves.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Learn Microsoft 365 from Microsoft DOCs now!
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Monday, August 31, 2020 1:05 AM
  • And register to Microsoft Partner program and have Delegated Admin Rights will not be solution? With this you can access certain Admin Centers with your account inside their tenant.
    • Marked as answer by Zanest_Avesta Tuesday, September 1, 2020 7:49 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2020 10:54 AM
  • Once you share a site with an authenticated external user:

An invitation containing a link to the site or document is sent to the user via email
    Once they log in using their Microsoft account, they are given access to the content and added into the users list in your Office 365 subscription.
    The new user is seen listed with #EXT#in their user name
    Once the external user is added to your user list, you can directly give them access to other sites or documents without sending them additional invitations.
    In case you wish to discontinue sharing with the guest users, either remove them from the user list in Office 365 or remove their permissions from the site.

I hope this helps you with SharePoint online migration.

• Marked as answer by Zanest_Avesta Tuesday, September 1, 2020 7:48 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2020 1:05 PM
  • Hi,Zanest_Avesta,

Non-SPMT(SharePoint Migration Tool) has transitioned to Microsoft Q&A for support, please visit the "Microsoft 365 on Q&A" site within Microsoft Q&A to post all non-SPMT questions regarding SharePoint.

All SPMT(SharePoint Migration Tool) questions can continue to be asked in this TechNet forum.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Friday, October 23, 2020 8:49 AM