none
Return Code 2 - ThinkVantage System Update Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Good day all.

Here is a link to all deployment logs LINK (via Dropbox because OneDrive is currently showing an error 6).

In my environment, we primarily use Lenovo devices and as such we try incorporate their official applications in our Windows images. I have made attempts to install the ThinkVantage System Update application AFTER the OS install procedure but I've been unsuccessful here with the task sequence giving an error stating, "Application Install - ThinkVantage System Update returned an unexpected return code: 2".

I've tried this application install via LiteTouch.vbs where I allowed a computer's HDD to be wiped, the wim installed and then applications installed. All my other applications (web browsers, Flash, Reader DC, etc.) install without issue. I've also attempted it via Post OS Installation Task Sequence which also works for other apps.

The silent install parameters are: c:\>[System Update installation file name].exe/VERYSILENT /NORESTART (SOURCE). I downloaded the extract-able executable from Lenovo's site, I specified the folder to which the application's files would be extracted and then I imported that entire folder as the Install - ThinkVantage System Update application via the Add Application Wizard inside MDT.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:21 PM

Answers

• Why is there no space between setup.exe/VERYSILENT ? Try adding a space between the exe and its parameters

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:28 PM

All replies

• Why is there no space between setup.exe/VERYSILENT ? Try adding a space between the exe and its parameters

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:28 PM
  • There's no space because I took it directly from Lenovo's documentation in the link I shared above. I'll try it with the space again to see if there's a change.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:54 AM
  • I over-complicated it by extracting it before I added it to MDT. Also, the space was incorrect so I'm silly for following Lenovo's instructions for their own software.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:54 PM