none
Disabling Windows Steady State breaks product key RRS feed

• Question

• Disabling Windows Steady State breaks product key

We deployed a bunch of computers to school classrooms, all had steady state installed. Now after a while, the school unlocked steady state to install additional educational software. After disabling steady state, the computer reboots and says that the license key is not valid. It is giving them 3 days to enter a NEW license key. Today is day 3.

Obviously.. it HAD to be a valid license key to INSTALL and run steady state to begin with, now after disabling it it is about to render these computers useless. I am getting tired of constantly fixing and having to come up to work arounds for MS blunders.

This is not the first time I have seen this happen as well. Same thing, we installed a bunch of computers in a homeless shelter, after about 2 months they unlocked them and added in new software, then M$ product key reported as invalid. We ended up having to wipe the computers and start from scratch.

How do we get steady state and windows to recognize that it ALREADY VALIDATED this stupid a$$ed software and license keys ? We process hundreds of computers a year as donations, if this is going to be a "normal" flaw where we have to rekey windows, its not worth the problem. Some locations do not have internet access available. So having to re-register hundreds of computers without internet access is not an option.

Get it ?

Again.

How do we get steady state and windows to recognize that it ALREADY VALIDATED this stupid a$$ed software and license keys ?

yes.  i am angry and irritated.  not the first time using M$ software has cost me days or weeks of production time

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:50 AM

Answers

• I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. Did you enable Windows Disk Protection or "lock" function for users? If you enabled WDP, did you activate Windows before or after that? To enable WDP, we need to activate Windows first, otherwise, the saved "activated status" may be removed after disabling WDP.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:01 AM