none
OneDrive vs. OneDrive for Business RRS feed

• Question

• I´m trying to figure out what to do in a current situation and which client to use. This OneDrive thingy is quite confusing at the moment.

Our customer has Windows 7 with O365/2013 version, and OneDrive for Business (groove.exe) in use.

We are migrating these to Windows 10 with O365/2016 version. When user signs in after entire upgrade, OneDrive for Business is in use like before, and OneDrive is not used.

a) What is NextGen client? Is it OneDrive only which comes with W10? Or is OneDrive for Business also a NextGen?
    b) Which Onedrive users should use in this case when they have O365 accounts?
    c) If user starts to use OneDrive with Windows 10, will they lose some functionality around O365 and its Sharepoint?
    d) OneDrive of Windows 10 is 17.x.x.x.x version. OneDrive for Business with O365/2016 is 16.x.x.x.x version. How to archive OneDrive for Business 17.x.x.x version?

ps. for a second I thought its simple;

Microsoft Account = OneDrive of Windows 10 
    O365 tenant = OneDrive for Business from O365 Pro Plus Client

...but apparently, not... :)

Please remember to mark my post as an answer, if I really helped you out, or vote if usefull. Thank you!

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:52 PM

All replies

• If its Office 365 then its all OneDrive for Business.  OneDrive is the personal client that is tied to your personal email address (Microsoft Account).  You can have both a personal OneDrive (Microsoft Account) and a OneDrive for business (Office 365) account.  Now on to the clients.

The Groove.exe client you have on Windows 7 is the first generation client.  It can be used to Sync One Drive for Buisness and SharePoint document libraries.  But in all honesty its not very reliable. There is another Groove based client for personal OneDrive which you probably also have in Windows 7.

The NextGen client is a complete rewrite of the Sync client that is not Groove based.  This NextGen client is part of the default build of Windows 10 where its setup to be used with personal OneDrive.  It can also be downloaded from Office 365 either to update the Windows 10 built-in copy or to install on earlier versions of Windows like Windows 8. (I don't remember if the nextgen client is supported all the way down to Windows 7).  The production version of the NextGen client only syncs personal OneDrive and OneDrive for business, although there is a preview version that will soon be released to production that adds SharePoint Online document library sync. So your specific qustions

a) NextGen client is the current client that is downloadable from O365 and pre-installed on W10.  Settings need to be configured to add the OneDrive for Business sync, but both versions can sync both.

b) OneDrive personal is PERSONAL and should not be used for business files.  OneDrive for business is where you store your business files.  Its also much bigger at 1TB (business) vs 5GB (personal) .

c) No they won't lose functionality.  OneDrive for business settings can be enabled at any time.

d) The current download for OneDrive for business from O365 is also currently 17.x.x.x.x please go to O365 and download it again. Not sure what you mean by how to archive OneDrive for Business?

Hope that clarifies.  Take a look at this article for more info:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/OneDrive-for-Business-in-Office-365-Admin-Help-3e21f8f0-e0a1-43be-aa3e-8c0236bf11bb

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by Darren Blanchard Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by yannara Friday, January 20, 2017 7:03 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:31 PM
  • To cut story short,

...should I exclude OneDrive from O365 Pro Plus Deployment, and use Windows 10´s native OneDrive for Business purposes?

OR

..to hide Windows 10 native OneDrive client and deploy full O365 Pro Plus package and update it with SCCM to get latest O365 proplus bits?

My target here is to simplify the use for end-user, they can´t have both, it will be a mess.

Please remember to mark my post as an answer, if I really helped you out, or vote if usefull. Thank you!

• Edited by yannara Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:14 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:13 PM
  • Deploying the OneDrive in O365 Pro Plus Deployment will replace the OneDrive for Business client in Windows 10.  Just make sure you are using a current Deployment copy.  You also don't need to hide the native OneDrive client.  Users won't have both clients unless you install the old Groove based client to get SharePoint library sync.  In that case they will coexist.  Otherwise the ProPlus copy will overwrite the windows 10 version.  They are the same client, just two different ways to get them installed.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, January 20, 2017 3:24 AM
  • Thank you Paul, my current status is a mess. User has both OneDrive 17 and OneDrive for Business 16, as you can see from the screenshots. So they both coexist and this is a problem. I decide to show you a screenshots, which are taken from the SAME end user session, after Windows 10 in-place upgrade happend.

So, do you suggest I update my O365 and OneDrive will unite, become as one?

Friday, January 20, 2017 7:10 AM
  • What you are seeing is the expected behavior.  The entry for OneDrive and for Office Pro Plus will always both be present because although Office Pro Plus installs the OneDrive NextGen client, the OneDrive client will be listed as a seperate program.  The OneDrive (Not Signed In) image is for OneDrive personal and the Explorer entry is for OneDrive for Business.  Its normal to have both entries if you have both a OneDrive personal and Office 365.  The only thing that may not be what you want is the last one.  Since that is labeled as GROOVE that is the legacy OneDrive for Business client.  It will coexist with the other client, but you only need that if you want to sync SharePoint document libraries.  The nextgen client will take care of everything else.  There is a OneDrive Nextgen preview client available now that removes the need for even that functionality.  So unless you are syncing SharePoint doc libraries the Groove client can be removed.  That was probably installed by an older version of Office Pro Plus.  Here's an article on how to transition from the Groove client to the nextgen client.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Transition-from-the-previous-OneDrive-for-Business-Sync-Client-4100df3a-0c96-464f-b0a8-c20de34da6fa?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

Friday, January 20, 2017 12:46 PM
  • We decided to keep the Groove client because of Sharepoint lib needs. I disabled OneDrive with GPO, so it will not interfer with end users.

Any news when the next client will be released as rtm or business release?

Friday, January 20, 2017 1:59 PM
  • I have not heard a specific date on when its being released.  Its in preview now, I'm using it and its quite stable.  I don't think it will be very long.

Saturday, January 21, 2017 3:02 AM
  • I downloaded latest client from here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/New-OneDrive-sync-client-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-bf28-4e24b95e5fc0?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

..which is 17.3.6798.0207 version. Is this now a rtm next gen sync client?

I noticed, that native W10 machine which updates regulary, have the same file version. So I guess I don´t have to deploy any OneDrive client to machines? Will it become "for business", so the Sharepoint Libraries are now supported?

Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:10 AM
  • Yes, that is the right version for syncing SharePoint online libraries and OneDrive for business.  It was released to production within the last month.  You'll still need the Groove.exe based client if you are syncing libraries from On-premises, but otherwise the new client should do everything.

Sunday, March 12, 2017 12:31 PM
  • 2 problems when tansferring from OneDrive for Business 16 to OneDrive 17 included with Win10 and patched;

1. User already using OneDrive for Business 16, starts to syncing to OneDrive 17. Sync seems to work fine to Sharepoint libs, but I cannot find his personal Directory anymore. Old "Business folders" cannot be deleted as well. So we end up in a very mixed situation. I see both OneDrive and OneDrive for Business folders there, not good.

2. This user profile is wiped from W10 computer. After signing in with clean windows user profile, only OneDrive 17 is available - good. Personal folders are synced, but OneDrive 17 misses an option to add/sync any Sharepoint Library. I can´t find a way to add Sharepoint lib...

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Check this article on how to move from the legacy client to the new Next Gen Sync client.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Transition-from-the-previous-OneDrive-for-Business-sync-client-4100df3a-0c96-464f-b0a8-c20de34da6fa

But a couple points.

1. Follow the article steps for upgrading from OneDrive 16 to OneDrive 17.  It should take over whatever you already have synced.
    2. There should be seperate sets of folders for OneDrive, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Libraries after the next gen sync client is installed.  That's normal.
    3. After installing Win10 you will have just a OneDrive sync by default.  You need to add an Office 365 account to sync OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online libraries.  (SharePoint on-premises libraries aren't supported yet.) Check the setup guide link in the article above.

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:22 AM

There should be seperate sets of folders for OneDrive, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Libraries after the next gen sync client is installed.  That's normal.

This is a biggest issue here, again, that we have dublicate OneDrive apps;

So, first user need to sign in to OneDrive 17, create and sync his personal folder. After this, when he goes to Sharepoint online and tries to sync Library, OneDriver for Business pops up with different GUI and you have again to sign in with credentials and take care of the process again. At the end, you and up with both OneDrive icons running.

So, this is by design?

How I make sure, that Sharepoint libraries are using 17.version binaries, even when OneDrive for Business GUI looks older, like from Office 16.

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:23 PM
  • Can't see the picture you uploaded, but this is what it should look like at the top level in Windows Explorer:

Once you have logged into your O365 OneDrive it shouldn't prompt you again when you sync a library.  If you log into OneDrive (personal) it may prompt you again for your O365 login.

To check the build right click on the OneDrive icon, select settings and check the About tab.  The Build number will be there.

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:30 PM
  • The picture I tried to view, was a icons in a task bar (active applications), where you would see, that both OneDrive and OneDrive for business are running same time.

The picture what you show, is very okay with me, it doesn´t bother is there 1, 2 or 3 objects there.

We don´t use Personal OneDrive in this organization. The only OneDrive space comes from O365 OneDrive + Sharepoint Online Libs. Said that, I´m still worried, why I see 2 different OneDrive process / running apps.

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:50 PM
  • Here's what my taskbar looks like.  You will see that I also have two icons and I'm pretty sure the white icon stays even if you aren't logged in to a Personal OneDrive.  The base for the whole thing is OneDrive.exe which is the basic OneDrive personal sync.

If you see a second blue cloud then you have the Groove based client loaded also.

Monday, March 13, 2017 7:03 PM
  • Thanks Paul, so it seems, eveything this I´ve complained about, is by design...

I will send few screenshots tomorrow to be sure. Thanks for you help so far.

Monday, March 13, 2017 7:41 PM
  • There is a setting in a Sharepoint site management (whatever that is called, not my area), where you can force to use Business client (old), or newer client. There is also a GPO setting for OneDrive which affects this behavior. My collegue dig this info up, because in the another enviroment I haven´t seen myself, they use only OneDrive 17 for sync Sharpoint Libraries, and there is only one Icon running in task bar.

Not sure, what is by design, but at least it is possible to use only one client...

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:21 PM
  • Yes there are settings in the SharePoint Admin center that will control whether you start the old or the new sync client.  There are also settings in the new OneDrive admin center that will let you turn syncing off or limit it to workstations that are members of specific domains.  Having said that, I really don't recommend using the old Groove.exe based sync client.

There is a GPO that can deactivate the OneDrive personal side of this for Windows 10.  That's probably what your colleague is describing.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:00 PM
  • We have to stick with OneDrive for Business 16, because during Win10 in-place upgrade, even if the 16 is disabled from Office package, old icons are still present, and we can´t trust the end user to be able to detect, are those spaces synced or not (the green sync mark in icon).

My question now is this - OneDrive for Business 16 - will it get updated automatically at some time frame during O365 defferend (feature) upgrades, which MS pushes every month? We need to combine new sync engine to the OneDrive for Business 16, which now comes within O365. Win10´s OneDrive will remain disabled.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:58 PM
  • If by OneDrive for Business 16 you mean the old Groove.exe client then no that will not be automatically updated.  But if you upgrade users to Windows 10 the new OneDrive client should automatically takeover for the old Groove.exe client and the old icon will only show if there are libraries being synced that the new client can't handle, like on-premises SharePoint libraries.  The new client will be automatically updated to the newest 17 versions.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:15 PM