none
The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. (ID 998 Details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)) RRS feed

• Question

• Iam usng DPM 2007and getting error the error below
    The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. (ID 998 Details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)).

We have approx 28 million files on one volume.

Thanks
    Jc

John cherian
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi

There is a limitation to the number of files that can be backed up to tape due to a 4GB file size limit of the catalog created during tape backup containing the file names of the files included on the tape. The number of files that can be backed up without geting the error varies due to the long file names used.   We are in the process of creating some content about this limitation.   Some customers have reported problem around the 12 million file mark, other more or less.

Workarounds
    ===========

1) Use NTFS mount points to reduce the number of file on a protected volume when doing tape backups.
    2) If the protected server is a virtual server, protect the machine at the host level and you can recover individual files using Hyper-V ILR, and still backup the guest to tape.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:33 AM

All replies

• Hi

There is a limitation to the number of files that can be backed up to tape due to a 4GB file size limit of the catalog created during tape backup containing the file names of the files included on the tape. The number of files that can be backed up without geting the error varies due to the long file names used.   We are in the process of creating some content about this limitation.   Some customers have reported problem around the 12 million file mark, other more or less.

Workarounds
    ===========

1) Use NTFS mount points to reduce the number of file on a protected volume when doing tape backups.
    2) If the protected server is a virtual server, protect the machine at the host level and you can recover individual files using Hyper-V ILR, and still backup the guest to tape.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:33 AM
  • Has there been any more documentation on this issue. My tape backups for my nearpoint servers on dpm all fail from 599,868.56 - 659,252.56 MB after anywhere from 21-25 hours of backup time.

Shawn

Shawn
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Are you using DPM 2007 or DPM 2010 ?
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:54 PM
  • Im sorry but I did not get your reply sent to my email. I saw that there may be a private hotfix available for this. Is this true?

DPM2010 windows server 2008 r2 version 3.0.7707.0

The nearpoint01 server has 462gb on disk with 35,151,592 files and 35,203 folders

The nearpoint02 server has 497gb on disk with 35,809,812 files and 35,848 folders

Thanks for any and all help Mike,

Shawn

Shawn
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

The DPM 2010 private fix just finished testing - I'm not sure what the timeline is for the fix to be made available just yet.  Let me inquiry to see what the plans are.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Thanks Mike, I look forward to your reponse. I can open up a support incident if and when need be.

Shawn

Shawn
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:19 PM
  • I got the same error on DPM 2010 as well. Need the hotfix please.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:14 AM
  • Hi,

FYI - This problem is fixed in DPM 2012 and we have a test private available for DPM 2010 that will allow you to overcome the catalog size limitation when backing up to tape.  The private fix has a prerequisite of having DPM 2010 rollup fix 2615782 installed.  Since the private fix is not yet made public, you will need to open a support case to get the fix.  You will not be charged for the support incident, however we need the case so we can track who has the private.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Wan2011 Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:53 PM
  • We just upgraded the DPM 2010 server to DPM 2012 and the error repeated on the same job it had been occurring on under 2010. What can be done to resolve this, as according to the above post this was supposed to be resolved in 2012?

Thank you

Thursday, June 7, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hi

Apparently, the error is not due to the known issue that was fixed. Further investigation would need to be done.  Please open a support ticked if you want assistence troubleshooting that error.

OOF for 2 weeks, good luck.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 8, 2012 1:30 AM
  • Any update on this issue. I'm encountering it now as well./.. I'm not seeing any updates to DPM 2010 on the web that are specific to correcting this issue. 
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

If the cause of the failure is due to the 4GB catalog file size limit, then the following updates include a fix to that issue.

DPM 2010
    =======

Description of hotfix rollup package 6 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010    
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2718797

QFE Rollup Package 6 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30426

DPM 2012
    ======

Description of Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2706783

Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager
     http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30413

With that said, we are currently activley investigating another issue in DPM 2012 with the same "The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" error, but due to a different cause.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:10 PM