none
Partial install of IE 9 on Windows 7 32bit SP1 pc, unable to correct the installation

Question

• Hi

I'm trying to upgrade user's PC from IE 8 to IE 9.

However when I load up IE , it is still version 8.

I have rebooted the PC several times, even in safe mode.

When I view updates via appwiz.cpl, I can see that Windows Internet Explorer 9 is there, however when I try and install i get this error An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled.

I have tried the following troubleshooting;

1. Executed this command under CMD administrator - FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Access denied keeps popping up for every file that it tries to remove.

Operation failed with 0x80070005 Access is denied

2.  Tried to remove Internet Explorer 9 from Turn windows feature on or off . This also fails.

3. Tried installing the IE 9 installer  IE9-Windows7-x86-enu.exe , this also fails.

4. I have tried going back to the very last restore point , which also causing same behaviour as above. It appears this issue has been dormant on the PC for sometime

Please advise how I can update this PC to IE 9 ?

Please help. thanks

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:47 AM

Answers

• Hi

I ended up having to do the following to fix the issue;

1. obtained Windows 7 x86 sp1 installation cd, when done an inline upgrade of windows 7

2. Then I removed Internet Explorer 8 from  Turn windows feature on or off,  then reboot

3. waiting for windows to install around 148 updates

4. few reboots

5. Installed IE 9 using  IE9-Windows7-x86-enu.exe

IE then successfully installed!

• Marked as answer by uklogistics Friday, November 20, 2015 12:21 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 12:21 PM

All replies

• What's the exact error when you try to install ? Access denied ? 

Can you right click on exe and Run It As Administrator ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:18 AM
  • Hi uklogistics,

Thank you for your question.

Please try to use the other account or local administrator to check if the issue persist, we could also re-build Windows profile or do a clean boot by the following link, then check if we could uninstall IE9 then install it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:15 AM
  • Hi

I ended up having to do the following to fix the issue;

1. obtained Windows 7 x86 sp1 installation cd, when done an inline upgrade of windows 7

2. Then I removed Internet Explorer 8 from  Turn windows feature on or off,  then reboot

3. waiting for windows to install around 148 updates

4. few reboots

5. Installed IE 9 using  IE9-Windows7-x86-enu.exe

IE then successfully installed!

• Marked as answer by uklogistics Friday, November 20, 2015 12:21 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 12:21 PM