none
Third domain controller

Question

• Hi everyone, good afternoon,

I would like your colleagues' opinions on the following scenario:

Tenhos 2 domain controllers (Windows Server 2012 R2), primary and secondary, a single domain.

It happens that the (physical) servers where the domain controllers are are already out of warranty, and the company does not want to exchange for better and collateral servers.

My idea then would be to create a third domain controller (as a virtual machine), on another server that is better.

Because if one of the physical servers fails I would still have the domain on another server.

My question is if it would be a good practice to create a Third Domain Controller, and if it had any impact do that?

Thank you
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:41 PM

All replies

• I see no issues with what you propose. It is always good practice to add another domain controller.

It would be wise to have the FSMO role holders on the most reliable, best connected DC's, especially the PDC Emulator role.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Hi

Agree to Richard any other additional domain controller's always advantage for redundancy.in addition you will also configure 3.rd DC with ad integrated dns and gc role.

Mostly i prefer to keep all fsmo roles on one DC,which is a physical box.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:12 PM