Cannot Access the Administrator Account RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my laptop from Vista Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  I was a member of the Administrators and Users groups and became the same on Windows 7.  After getting all software installed and Windows 7 setup the way I wanted, I removed myself from the Administrators group.  There was no warning that the Administrator account was NOT enabled.

So now when I attempt to enable the Administrator account, I get access denied!  I've even attempted to reinstall Windows 7 but get the same result - must be administrator to install Windows 7.  And I can't add myself to the Administrators group either.

What can I do to get the Admin account enabled?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:13 PM

Answers

• I upgraded my laptop from Vista Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  I was a member of the Administrators and Users groups and became the same on Windows 7.  After getting all software installed and Windows 7 setup the way I wanted, I removed myself from the Administrators group.  There was no warning that the Administrator account was NOT enabled.

So now when I attempt to enable the Administrator account, I get access denied!  I've even attempted to reinstall Windows 7 but get the same result - must be administrator to install Windows 7.  And I can't add myself to the Administrators group either.

Hi Jim

If there are no visible Administrator accounts, you can boot to Safe Mode. When the login screen appears, you should see the Built-in Administrator account. You can login using this account (it has no password, by default) and use it to change your normal account back to Administrator.

It's best to use an administrator account in Windows 7, the UAC component will allow you to work with normal user account privileges and you can elevate any operation that requires administrator priveleges.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:46 PM

All replies

Hi Jim

If there are no visible Administrator accounts, you can boot to Safe Mode. When the login screen appears, you should see the Built-in Administrator account. You can login using this account (it has no password, by default) and use it to change your normal account back to Administrator.

It's best to use an administrator account in Windows 7, the UAC component will allow you to work with normal user account privileges and you can elevate any operation that requires administrator priveleges.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:46 PM
  • It's best to use an administrator account in Windows 7, the UAC component will ....
    It needs to be said, of course, that when using an account which is a member of the 'administrator group' then UAC should be left enabled!  With UAC left enabled. membership of the 'administrators group' provides the user the capability of choosing to 'elevate' tasks as necessary.  To all intents and purposes the user account otherwise operates same way as a standard user account. 
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:55 PM
  • As Ronnie mentioned, if we removed all other accounts in Administrators group (the build-in Administrator account cannot be removed), after boot into Safe Mode, Administrator account will be displayed and we can log on it. By using this account we can add the orignial account back to Admin group.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

I got a problem and I don't know what to do. If you have any tips in your bag, please let me know.

I was preparing an image for some new desktops at my workplace. I have installed everything and image is ready. Before creating image, I have deleted local user account with admin priv. and removed from domain. Also reset password for local built-in administrator account. But I forgot to enable the account. Now, I can't login or enable local admin account. It means I have to throw out the image and reinstall win7. It took me 5/6 days to prepare that image. If you have any tips let me know.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Hi Dinangkur,

You can also test to boot into Safe Mode to see if we can logon the Administrator account. If there is no other account available, it will be allowed to be logon although it is still marked as Disabled.

If issue still exists, you are welcome to create a new post.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Booting to safe mode allowed me to sign in as Administrator and fix my own user account.  Many thanks!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:34 PM

It seems that Jim was in the exact same situation as I am today! Inspired by a security article, I removed myself from the Administrators group and did not realize that the Administrator in Windows 7 was disabled till it was too late (I had already logged out and back).

Unfortunately I am unable to log into the Administrator account even from the safe mode welcome screen :( because clicking on the Administrator Icon just restarts my notebook! ... no messages. no errors. no nothing!

Untill I read Mr. Ronnie Vernon's post I thought that it was happening due to the Administrator account being in the disabled state. So I tried but was unable to change the Administrator account to active (Error 5 Access Denied... obviously).

But since Jim was able to log in through that account, it rules out that possibility! Now I am back where I started :(

Would really appreciate a suggestion! Thanks.

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Worked like a charm! Thanks
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:08 PM