is replacing officescan with forefront easy RRS feed

• Question

• anyone here who has actually replaced officescan 10 with fcs? can you please share any gotchas you've encountered. is it straightforward inplace install?

i'm also concerned about memory footprint and performance impact. how is it?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You should uninstall OfficeScan before to install FCS. You can create a script to uninstall officescan or you can use FCS Deployment tool http://fcscompete.codeplex.com/releases/view/14440 wich contain a script to remove officescan.

• Proposed as answer by Miles Zhang Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:08 PM
  •   I  jsut did this about a three month ago.  We tested a single server configuration and about a dozen PC's.  We ran both clinets for about two days and then de-installed trend off the clients.  After about two weeks everything was runnning well so we migrated the rest of the organizations to FCS Single Server config.  Memory foot print for FCS is about half of officescan.

Make sure that you use the FCS Docs.  I started here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb404225.aspx and then selected Installing a one-server topology on Windows 2008.  As usual you have to dig through the links and make sure you have the pre-reqs and install things in teh correct order, i.e. WSUS first.  The biggest issue we are seeing is that when MsMpEng.exe, scan engine, kicks off is that is uses a lot of CPU resources and sometimes will bring the PC to a crawl.  Adding expensive files to the exlusion list helps a bit but it can become a tedious process adding files.

As far as migrating off of OfficeScan the biggest deal was getting the client to de-install correctly.  Since it was not deployed with a GPO and we could not get the GPO to work correctly we had to manually de-install all the clients.

If you have any specific questions ask away.

HTH

Jim

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:18 PM