WordPad Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi..I hope that somebody can help me with this, as it has been this way for a while.  Ive been googling answers and going to diff websites with no success at all.

It's regarding WordPad and I am having problems with only one file, which is the MOST important file out of them all...It is my Personal Information File with all screen names, pass words to diff websites, bank info, and stuff like that. I need to get in there...lol

Any how, when I click on my file it will start to open, but will only go to 61% all the time.  Then I get the message:  Windows WordPad is not responding. Windows is looking into a solution.  Then nothing it never finds a solution and I have to close it with Task Manager.

The file type is .RTF and the only other options to open it are with Notepad, WordPad and its on Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Client right now,, whatever that is, and also the little box that says: always use this choice when opening this file and its grayed out, I can't uncheck it. Also I have  Microsoft Word Starter 2010. But when I try and open it it says that its too big.  So I went to file location and looked at size is: 1,712,600 KB!!  Isn't that kinda big?? 

Anyways, any suggestions on how I can get this file open?? I need to open it and make another copy of it so that this problem hopefully won't happen again.

Thanks in advance...Denise

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:08 PM Move to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:17 PM

Answers

• TO:  bobkn, Noel D Paton, and Naum Stojcevski - I know I am probably doing this wrong, by replying to my post this way, but I don't know any other way to do this. I even looked through the "Need Help with Forums" on how to do this the correct way...Anyways, I appreciate the suggestions and advice regarding this problem that I was having but in end I figured there really isn't any information in there that can't be replaced, soooo I went ahead and DELETED THE FILE  :(  I don't even know how it ended up that big. There was no way that that the info in that file amounted to what it said it did to the point where I couldn't even open it with Word Starter 2010.  Something happened, something bad happened to that file...lol...and I will never know what, how or why it did...lol..But anyways, thanks again for all your responses.   PS - Is there another way that I could have done this in letting you and others know that I no longer needed any more answers?? Thanks again...Denise     

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:41 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:59 PM

All replies

• Are you sure that it's 1,712,600 KB (1.7GB)? That's absurd, by a factor of more than 1000 (I'd guess).

If an application can open it, that might take a while. It would be best on a PC with lots of RAM. I suppose that your hard disk activity light was glowing continuously when you tried to open it.

Can you copy it to another drive or partition?

Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:08 PM
  • "kitten20486" wrote in message news:a7faf916-772f-49d1-9114-0e488d2cf990...

Hi..I hope that somebody can help me with this, as it has been this way for a while.  Ive been googling answers and going to diff websites with no success at all.

It's regarding WordPad and I am having problems with only one file, which is the MOST important file out of them all...It is my Personal Information File with all screen names, pass words to diff websites, bank info, and stuff like that. I need to get in there...lol

Any how, when I click on my file it will start to open, but will only go to 61% all the time.  Then I get the message:  Windows WordPad is not responding. Windows is looking into a solution.  Then nothing it never finds a solution and I have to close it with Task Manager.

The file type is .RTF and the only other options to open it are with Notepad, WordPad and its on Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Client right now,, whatever that is, and also the little box that says: always use this choice when opening this file and its grayed out, I can't uncheck it. Also I have  Microsoft Word Starter 2010. But when I try and open it it says that its too big.  So I went to file location and looked at size is: 1,712,600 KB!!  Isn't that kinda big?? 

Anyways, any suggestions on how I can get this file open?? I need to open it and make another copy of it so that this problem hopefully won't happen again.

Thanks in advance...Denise

Try running a CHKDSK on the drive - if you're lucky, that may fix it.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, July 25, 2011 1:57 PM
  • I would leave the computer to run for a long time. Try to open the file on more powerful PC (More then 3GHz CPU, 3GB Ram), or else use third party text editors like Notepad++.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:01 AM
  • TO:  bobkn, Noel D Paton, and Naum Stojcevski - I know I am probably doing this wrong, by replying to my post this way, but I don't know any other way to do this. I even looked through the "Need Help with Forums" on how to do this the correct way...Anyways, I appreciate the suggestions and advice regarding this problem that I was having but in end I figured there really isn't any information in there that can't be replaced, soooo I went ahead and DELETED THE FILE  :(  I don't even know how it ended up that big. There was no way that that the info in that file amounted to what it said it did to the point where I couldn't even open it with Word Starter 2010.  Something happened, something bad happened to that file...lol...and I will never know what, how or why it did...lol..But anyways, thanks again for all your responses.   PS - Is there another way that I could have done this in letting you and others know that I no longer needed any more answers?? Thanks again...Denise     

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:41 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:59 PM