none
Project Server - Sample Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I am working with the out of the box Sample Proposal Workflow. I created a simple proposal and walked through the workflow. I am now at the "Manage" phase in the "Execution" stage of the workflow. It tells me that the State is "In progress (Waiting for input)".

I have gone into the project schedule and marked all tasks to be 100% completed. However, I see that the Submit button is still greyed out. How will this proposal/project move to the next Phase (Finished) and Stage (Final Assesmment)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anirudh

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:00 PM

Answers

• I am posting this in case someone runs into the same issue.

The reason the workflow did not move from the "Execution" stage to the "Manage" phase was because of missing entries on the "Proposal Start and End Date" PDP. Apparently, after all the tasks in the project have been marked 100%, the "Sample Approved Start Date" and "Sample Approved Finish Date" have to be filled in and submitted.

Once this is done, the project moves on to the "Final Assessment" stage of the "Finished" phase. Entering values in the fields of the "Post Implementation Review" PDP and submitting then moves the project to the "Completed" stage.

Anirudh

Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:58 PM

All replies

• Can you try opening the project plan in Project Pro & see if the project is marked 100% complete, also make sure to display the project summary task, it will show you the project % complete, recalculate by pressing F9 & publish the plan, try reopening the project in a new IE instance & then check if submit button us still disabled

Let us know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Verified that the Project Summary Task says 100% complete in Project Pro and tried in new IE instance. The submit button stays disabled.

Anirudh

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:16 PM
  • I can't recall what that workflow does, but there aren't any other required fields that you need to complete are there? 

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:00 AM
  • The workflow goes through all the stages - from Initiation to Completion and serves as a demo how workflows work in Project Server. I have gone through each phase (and stage) up to the "Execution"  stage of the "Manage" phase.

I now want to move past this phase (and stage) to the next phase "Finished". From what I can tell, the only way the project will move to the next phase from the "Manage" phase is when all tasks in the project are marked 100%complete. I have confirmed they are. But I still see the "Submit" button greyed out.

To answer your question - the Status Info column of the Workflow grid says "All required fields for this stage have been filled."

How will the project move to the next phase from the "Execution" phase?

Anirudh

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Only other thing i can think of is hit the Additional Workflow data Link at the bottom of Workflow status grid, and try to check if you can see anything wrong in there, also you may try restarting the project & then doing a resubmit, if that helps   

have you tried the same with other projects or is it happening through all projects since there isn't additional logging enabled in sample proposal workflow tracing the error might be tough, suggest you edit the workflow & add instrumentation to check where its failing or doing something wrong, or i am also not sure at this point if there were any changes in the workflow or something that might be causing the issue, try restarting project server services & IIS just for a hit & trial

Let us know if this helps

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:39 PM
  • This is the last entry on the "Additional Workflow Data" page - "ExecutionStage: Completed successfully". There are no errors.

I have done the other steps - restarted project server services, and iisrest. The status of the workflow has not changed.

I have not changed anything in terms of configuration. I just want to walk through the entire process out of the box. Modifying code and/or adding instrumentation defeats that purpose.

I just want to get past the "Execution" stage and on to the "Finished" phase.

Thanks for the reply and help.

Anirudh

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:06 PM
  • I am posting this in case someone runs into the same issue.

The reason the workflow did not move from the "Execution" stage to the "Manage" phase was because of missing entries on the "Proposal Start and End Date" PDP. Apparently, after all the tasks in the project have been marked 100%, the "Sample Approved Start Date" and "Sample Approved Finish Date" have to be filled in and submitted.

Once this is done, the project moves on to the "Final Assessment" stage of the "Finished" phase. Entering values in the fields of the "Post Implementation Review" PDP and submitting then moves the project to the "Completed" stage.

Anirudh

Saturday, December 1, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Guys

I do have a question regarding the last commment.

I'm trying to figure out how the Proposal Start and End Date are filled

is it automatically or manually?

anyone?

thanks

Jérome

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:27 PM
  • By last comment i am assuming you are talking of  Sample Approved Start & Finish Date, and if so, these are manually filled, but there are ways to automate either through customization or configuration, let us know if you need any help on that

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

yes, I'm talking about approved start & finish dates.

so, in the sample porposal, they are not filled at the project selection phase?

to customize, yes I would need help but I suppose it goes through visual studio code writing.

thanks

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:07 PM