SCCM Software Center and Online Windows Updates discrepancy RRS feed

• Question

• By looking at the screen shots you can see the discrepancy between updates available through SCCM Software Center and manual online check for updates.

As you can see Software Center shows more than online windows updates. In this particular situation, this server even does not have any Office installed, but looks like SCCM thinks to push those to the server.

So, why there are more updates from SCCM than online windows updates?

• Changed type Garth JonesMVP Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:45 PM it's a question
    Friday, December 21, 2012 6:28 PM

Answers

• Take a look at the extras coming from Microsoft Update. Is there anything common with them?
    You should verify your ConfigMgr SUP is configured to synchronize those products and classifications.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:45 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:38 PM

All replies

• I would assume this is because the updates which you are not seeing have not been deployed from ConfigMgr.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum/|

Friday, December 21, 2012 6:52 PM
  • the discrepancies are for components/products that are either not security updates for Windows (Office2007 x 2, Silverlight x 1), and, the Root Certs update (which is a non-security update)

Office2007 updates are often needed on machines without Office2007, since there are other shared components, from other products, which incorporate the vulnerable Office DLLs. This is why such updates are offered/needed. (eg SQL or products which include SQL, may include some OfficeWebComponents)
    e.g. refer to the FAQ in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-034

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, December 22, 2012 12:25 AM
    Saturday, December 22, 2012 12:19 AM
  • But the question is why there are more and different updates available through SCCM than online Windows Updates? 
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Some updates may have been superseded and are not still being deployed by WU, but are still being deployed by your ConfigMgr environment.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Oh, and it looks like you are using Windows Update and not Microsoft Update.  Microsoft Update will allow you to patch additional products beyond the OS.  Disable IE ESC or add update.microsoft.com to trusted sites and head to:

update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate to agree to the license agreement.  You should then be able to start scanning for updates to additional products.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hmm, I thought starting with W2K8 the built-in Windows Update checks for other Microsoft products as well, but alas.

I already had IE ESC disabled. I just went to update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate and agreed to install the agent and now I see 16 Important updates available compared to 12 from SCCM.

Still discrepancy, but at least I'm happy now.

Thanks NPherson.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Take a look at the extras coming from Microsoft Update. Is there anything common with them?
    You should verify your ConfigMgr SUP is configured to synchronize those products and classifications.

• Edited by NPherson Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:45 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:38 PM