none
Server 2012 R2 Hyper V Disk2VHD Image is Crawling

Question

• Hello,

I have recently virtualized 2 physical servers using Disk2VHD (sysinternals). The first server, 2008R2, is working just peachy. The second server however, an SBS2008 is crawling.

The Disk2VHD was exported to an external USB drive and I am running it from there until I can move the storage over the weekend. I expected this to slow things down but not as badly as it is.

I installed Integration Disk already

I checked the queue for the External disk and it's not bad.

The original server had it's RAID degraded when I did the Disk2VHD image.

I tried running SFC /SCANNOW on the guest OS and it states "another servicing or repair operation is currently running"

Any ideas?

Cheers

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Friday, April 28, 2017 7:53 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 7:45 PM

Answers

• Replacing the disk on source may not help the issue although you could try. It may be that the failing disk hardware has now caused file system corruption. If you can get the source system healthy by doing sfc, chkdsk, and or a repair install may be the best shot.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Monday, May 01, 2017 2:04 AM
    Monday, May 01, 2017 12:57 AM

All replies

• Is sfc.exe by chance still running? If the disk2vhd was done while sfc was running that could be permanently problematic. If the source sbs is still available might try it again after file system repairs are complete.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 29, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Hi Dave, thanks for answering so quickly and on a weekend.

I did not run SFC Scan on the source server. It had a degraded RAID volume; one drive went bad and that's when I created the disk2VHD image. After the image was installed on the VM server and it ran slowly, I tried to run SFC on the VM target and that's when it stated that another servicing operation was under way.

I left target server VM system running all day Saturday while moving the VHD from the USB drive to the server's internal disk. It's running much better now although occasionally it's getting jammed... so still not out of the woods.

Today, SFC scan was able to run without the error but it stated that all ntfs boot sectors were unreadable or corrupt. So I am running a chkdsk /r.

If I cannot get this fixed, do you suggest I try to replace the defective disk on the physical source server and then re-run the disk2VHD after the RAID volume has been rebuilt or do you think the source server may have disk damage cause by the RAID failure? This is a production server so I don't have the luxury of trial and error. I would hate to re-try wit the original source server only to end up in the same starting point.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

• Edited by Miguel Fra Monday, May 01, 2017 12:27 AM
    Monday, May 01, 2017 12:10 AM
  • Replacing the disk on source may not help the issue although you could try. It may be that the failing disk hardware has now caused file system corruption. If you can get the source system healthy by doing sfc, chkdsk, and or a repair install may be the best shot.

• Marked as answer by Miguel Fra Monday, May 01, 2017 2:04 AM
    Monday, May 01, 2017 12:57 AM
  • Ok, thanks.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Monday, May 01, 2017 2:04 AM
  • The Disk2VHD was exported to an external USB drive and I am running it from there until I can move the storage over the weekend. I expected this to slow things down but not as badly as it is.

If the VHDX file is stored on an external USB disk, of course this must be slow as hell.

You could try to enable disk cache for the external disk, that may be turned off by default. But you should really move the VHDX to a reasonable disk system.

Monday, May 01, 2017 5:33 AM
  • Thanks, but what happens if the USB gets ejected or freezes up with the cache turned on? Can't that make things worse?

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:05 AM
  • Thanks, but what happens if the USB gets ejected or freezes up with the cache turned on? Can't that make things worse?

If the USB gets ejected, this is always an issue, with or without cache ;) ... Running a VM from an USB disk is bad idea in general.

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:26 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

Just FYI update: Last night I ran the CHKDSK and it did the trick. The system is running as it should be now thank goodness.. It looks like the RAID failure has caused some disk corruption.

Cheers

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Monday, May 01, 2017 9:00 PM