none
Do I lose Item-Level Recovery for my Entire Farm if any Content Database has Errors? RRS feed

• Question

• My group wants to use DPM to backup hundreds of content databases for 10,000s of people in two large farms we have. We know some of the content databases have errors (sites with unknown/missing site templates, lists with unknown/missing list templates). If I remember right DPM 2007 will lose item-level restore for the entire farm if any content database has an error. Is this still true for DPM 2012?

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SharePoint cataloging is the process of collecting a list of URLs (such as site collections, sites, documents, or lists) in a SharePoint farm.

In DPM 2007, creating a catalogue of the farm (list of URLs within the farm) is tightly tied to the backup of the SharePoint farm.
    In DPM 2010 / 2012, cataloging is a separate job that is scheduled automatically when you configure SharePoint farm backup. SharePoint cataloging happens only once a day, regardless of the number of backups taken each day. Cataloging is no longer bound to the backups of SharePoint farm.
    In DPM 2010 /2012, the cataloging job is scheduled to run 3 hours after the first scheduled backup of the corresponding SharePoint farm of the day.

You can run one manually at anytime now using the start-createcatalog power shell command, see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757874

Generally speaking, not cataloging a single content DB does not cause all ILR to fail for the entire farm unless the catalog process itself crashes which should be a very rare problem and something that would need to be fixed. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 30, 2012 10:23 PM