Windows 7 & Vista Start menu problem! Sort it out allready! RRS feed

• Question

• Since Vista there has been a problem with the start menu if you turn on "display as menu" occasionaly when you hover over an item such as Documents it will come up with the box's shadow but the options will not be there. Example picture here - http://www.littlebigmedia.co.uk/problem.jpg I cant belive this STILL hasnt been fixed.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:21 PM

Answers

• Several computers does not mean that this is not a driver issue.   Think about it.   If it was really a Windows problem then everyone would see this - including the developers at Microsoft.   

99% of problems that are in the "a few/some see this, most do not" are driver related.

Like I said, I have never seen (or even heard of this) in 10 years.  
    • Edited by Naddy69 Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Friday, June 19, 2009 3:07 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:37 PM

All replies

• I always use "Display as menu" since XP and have never seen this.   It is likely a driver issue with your video card. 
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:20 PM
  • strange I hve gone through several computers with this issue, and its on my laptop too, might be todo with the amount of data in the folders and its trying to load before the index for that section has fully loaded, only guessing this because I have LOADS of data.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Several computers does not mean that this is not a driver issue.   Think about it.   If it was really a Windows problem then everyone would see this - including the developers at Microsoft.   

99% of problems that are in the "a few/some see this, most do not" are driver related.

Like I said, I have never seen (or even heard of this) in 10 years.  
    • Edited by Naddy69 Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Friday, June 19, 2009 3:07 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:37 PM
  • These types of problems are fairly common and are unlikely to be driver related. When I have seen this issue its because the explorer process is tied up doing something. Your explanation of too much information being in the folder is a contributor. Does it happen if you reduce the amount of data?

Since the problem is intermittent it could also be that something has tied up the explorer process while you are doing this. On vista you could reproduce certain issues like this by deleting massive files and then restoring them whilst all the while trying to access the menu. This would happen in particular with my music folder whilst I was working on large files in photoshop, or whilst deleting HD files that take up whomps of space.

I have seen this on Windows for many years but I am not sure its a windows problem so much as it is windows pausing whist some other program does it stuff. Since as you say the system has to index the menu items it won't work as efficiently as if all it was running was a bunch of icons.

The problem is rare for me, and rare on other windows systems but it does happen from time to time. Does this sound like the issue that you are having?
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 7:46 AM
  • It may well be however it happens 1 in every 4 or 5 times really often, its a bit of a pain. I cant reduce the amount of data as my all of my HDD's are full, on my PC my user folder (Adam) contains aprox 4TB so I got a ____ of a lot there. Surly they can fix it though?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 2:13 PM
  • It may well be however it happens 1 in every 4 or 5 times really often, its a bit of a pain. I cant reduce the amount of data as my all of my HDD's are full, on my PC my user folder (Adam) contains aprox 4TB so I got a ____ of a lot there. Surly they can fix it though?

LOL it blocked the word H*E*L*L
    Monday, May 25, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Doesn't sound like what I see then. Happens extremely rarely from what I've seen. I don't put 'display as menu' the documents folder just the music one which for me amounts to about 10GB.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:24 PM
  • This seems like it may be a driver issue, but I think it would still be a good idea to post it in this comments thread, which many Microsoft employees read.

-Nick
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:14 PM