Possible to exclude all SQL instances of a specific type...like MSDE? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to prevent any MSDE database instance from being discovered (or whatever MS changed the name to in SQL 2005).  For example, Backup Exec uses an MSDE database for it's own internal managment.  Our DBAs don't care about this (Backup Exec is a Server Admin tool, not a DBA managed tool).

I found in the SQL MP documentation that you can exclude specific instances:

"This object discovery discovers all instances of SQL Server 2005 DB Engine running on Windows Servers.  By default all instances are discovered and monitored. You can override the discovery to exclude one or more instances from being discovered using the Exclude List.  This list takes a comma separated list of instance names or the * character to exclude all instances."

However, I don't know what all MSDE instances are out there without a lot of research (especially since they all have different names).  Is there a way, in the SQL MP, to exclude all instanaces of a specific TYPE of SQL (e.g. FREE versions like MSDE)?

Thanks
    Nelson
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:13 PM

Answers

All replies