none
ISO Created Today - "Could Not Complete The Installation"

Question

• Hi all,

I used the MS ISO Creation tool to make a Win10 x64 ISO a few hours ago.

On using it to install Win10 on a 100% clean PC (target hard drive is blank) with a Education licence key, i get the error:

Windows could not complete the installation.
    To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

I've tried the much reported Shift-F10 key combo, but nothing happens.

Ive also tried F8, Shift-F8, etc after reset, but it always comes back to that error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by MWPau Friday, February 17, 2017 3:27 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 3:24 AM

Answers

• I had this issue trying to install Windows 10 Education.

When installing, tell it you Do Not have a Key Code.  Then choose to install Windows 10 Home.  (I'd also blow away any previous partition on the hard drive when you get to that screen and make a new one.)

Once you get into Windows, put the correct key in when you Activate. (Mine was a Windows 10 Education key)

• Marked as answer by MWPau Monday, February 20, 2017 3:10 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Please read Microsoft Windows 10 Download - "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC"(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)
    Please let us know

Please let us know if the issue is Resolved or Not. Please feel free to communicate by replying if you need more help

• Edited by roharashraj Friday, February 17, 2017 11:06 AM Added link
    Friday, February 17, 2017 11:04 AM
  • Hi all,

I used the MS ISO Creation tool to make a Win10 x64 ISO a few hours ago.

On using it to install Win10 on a 100% clean PC (target hard drive is blank) with a Education licence key, i get the error:

Windows could not complete the installation.
    To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

I've tried the much reported Shift-F10 key combo, but nothing happens.

Ive also tried F8, Shift-F8, etc after reset, but it always comes back to that error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

You need to do a Clean Install.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

When you come to this stage, make sure you select Custom : Install Windows only (advanced)

See screenshot:

• Edited by david hk129 Friday, February 17, 2017 5:07 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 5:06 PM
  • Hi.

I read that before creating the ISO. All conditions are met.

I am still having this problem.

Thankyou

Friday, February 17, 2017 5:38 PM
  • Hi.

Thankyou

I don't have a direct answer for you.

Would you mind start over and use this link to download your iso file ?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/vlacademicISO

It might be just repetition without success. I am speculating that you have a bad copy of iso.

Friday, February 17, 2017 5:53 PM
  • Hi.

Thankyou

I don't have a direct answer for you.

Would you mind start over and use this link to download your iso file ?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/vlacademicISO

It might be just repetition without success. I am speculating that you have a bad copy of iso.

Ah ha, ive been looking for this, but such things can be difficult to find on the MS website.

I have tried using both the normal ISO Creation tool and the Retail ISO Creation tool. Both ISOs had the same problem, but downloading a full ISO directly may help.

Ill give this a try shortly (an internet download speed of 4Mbit/sec makes all of this a very long process).

Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:06 AM
  • A couple thoughts on how you can get to the log files on the erring system if the Shift-F10 option isn't working.

You can create a WinPE bootable thumbdrive.  Use this to boot the system and access the files on the hard drive.      

See here for info on how to do this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-usb-bootable-drive

The WinPE thumbdrive will have the native Win10 device drivers.  If your hard drive controller isn't supported by these drivers, then you might need to add the controller drivers to the WinPE environment.

See here for details on that:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/winpe-mount-and-customize

Another option is to pop out the erring system's hard drive and slave it on another working system.

Trying different ways of applying the install may get around the failure, but that takes time.  Looking at the log files would be quicker and may provide a reason for the failure.  On the other hand, the logs can sometimes be too vague.

Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:08 PM

When installing, tell it you Do Not have a Key Code.  Then choose to install Windows 10 Home.  (I'd also blow away any previous partition on the hard drive when you get to that screen and make a new one.)

Once you get into Windows, put the correct key in when you Activate. (Mine was a Windows 10 Education key)

• Marked as answer by MWPau Monday, February 20, 2017 3:10 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:28 PM
  • Hi MWPau,

I noticed you are using Education license key. The media creation tool is only available to download the Home and Pro versions.
    For Education version, we could download the ISO here.

Windows 10 Education, Version 1607 (Updated Jul 2016) (x64) - DVD (English)
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/hh442898.aspx#searchTerm=education&ProductFamilyId=0&Languages=en&PageSize=10&PageIndex=0&FileId=0

Best regards

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:21 AM
  • You must download *.iso from your VLSC or DreamSpark and use, as example, RUFUS to create bootable drive.
    • Marked as answer by MWPau Monday, February 20, 2017 3:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MWPau Monday, February 20, 2017 3:10 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 1:30 PM

Thankyou!!!

This is the answer. This worked.

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:10 PM
  • Hi MWPau,

I noticed you are using Education license key. The media creation tool is only available to download the Home and Pro versions.
    For Education version, we could download the ISO here.

Windows 10 Education, Version 1607 (Updated Jul 2016) (x64) - DVD (English)
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/hh442898.aspx#searchTerm=education&ProductFamilyId=0&Languages=en&PageSize=10&PageIndex=0&FileId=0

Best regards

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Incorrect.

Neither the ISO you linked to, or using the Retail Media Creation Tool (specifically states its for the Education licences) works.
    The 1607 Education installer clearly has an issue / bug.

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:12 PM