Windows Backup and Restore Incremental RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Windows backup is incremental. For example, if I make changes to a file or rename the folder or something, It will copy it (that's alright) BUT it will also keep the old one as backup.

I need it to do something like robocopy /mir command. So it keeps the backup of only the stuff I HAVE right now AND delete the ones I don't use anymore. Otherwise in 2-3 years, it'll get bigger and bigger and filled with stuff I don't really need.

Is there any way around this OR a built in option...??? I really dont wanna do a SHIFT DELETE to the entire backup folder and set it up all over again. Plz help!!!

Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, I find that this is by design. But you can adjust the maximu disk space used for system protection. As space fills up, older files will be deleted to make room for new files.

Please refer to the following article to decrease the space allotted to System Restore for a test.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-reduce-the-space-allotted-to-system-restore-in-windows-vista

Note: this also applies for Windows 7.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Edited by Juke Chou Monday, September 26, 2011 5:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, October 7, 2011 3:13 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, I find that this is by design. But you can adjust the maximu disk space used for system protection. As space fills up, older files will be deleted to make room for new files.

Please refer to the following article to decrease the space allotted to System Restore for a test.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-reduce-the-space-allotted-to-system-restore-in-windows-vista

Note: this also applies for Windows 7.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Edited by Juke Chou Monday, September 26, 2011 5:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, October 7, 2011 3:13 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:27 AM
  • BUT deleting old files could also delete the important archives that I haven't touched in a long time. Well, I have decided to re-setup the backup once in a month.. n delete the old one manually. It'll take hours and hours but... wat can u do. I was wondering if there was any third-party reliable backup software.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi. Windows backup is incremental. For example, if I make changes to a file or rename the folder or something, It will copy it (that's alright) BUT it will also keep the old one as backup.

I need it to do something like robocopy /mir command. So it keeps the backup of only the stuff I HAVE right now AND delete the ones I don't use anymore. Otherwise in 2-3 years, it'll get bigger and bigger and filled with stuff I don't really need.

Is there any way around this OR a built in option...??? I really dont wanna do a SHIFT DELETE to the entire backup folder and set it up all over again. Plz help!!!

I do not know if you ever resolved this issue.  I just ran across it myself.  My posting link:

Incremental backups with WIN7 BKUP utility restores files & folders in both old & new locations

I had some success experimenting with AOMEI.  Did you ever figure out how to correct the problem with the WIN7 utility?  If you have any useful info could you respond to my posting?

Regards

• Edited by tsunamiBTP Thursday, March 5, 2015 2:05 AM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 2:01 AM