none
Resource Leveling - changes work to fraction of days RRS feed

• Question

• I use Project  Professional 2013 and Project Server 2013. I assume that this is a question for the former and that it isn't related to Project Server as it concerns Resource leveling. 

After doing Resource Leveling, the work field is updated for certain resources. Not all resources and not all the work fields. The amount updated is in a fraction of a day, e.g. .95 day instead of 1 day. Note that I store work in 'days'.

What would cause the work to be updated as I don't see that as part of Resource Leveling?

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for sending the file. I examined it and did some tests:

- First and foremost, leveling does not change work. Not on any task, not on any resource. Baselined the file and looked at Work variance after leveling: zero everywhere.

- Stiill, for some tasks the duration will show such odd figures. The reason here is that you have a few tsks with such non-integer durations and when leveling shifts them that may cause other tasks not to start/finish at the start/end of a day. I rounded the durations of these tasks manually and now leveling keeps everything integer.

- Curious is that for a lot of tasks you have work but no resource. That does not influence the result (those tasks will be ignored by leveling) but it is somewhat odd.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:09 PM

All replies

• HFProjects

Fractional days for work or duration are not that uncommon. Although you may think you are storing time related information (i.e work) in days, internally Project stores all time related information in minutes. The units you see in the Work field (e.g. hours, days, etc.) are simply the internal data converted to a convenient unit as specified by the user's options settings. For the Work field, the default is hours but apparently you have changed that to days.

Since you are seeing fractional days it is likely due to some tasks that do not have an 8:00AM start or a 5:00PM finish (both are default), or you have resources that have custom calendars/exceptions that depart for the default standard working time.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hello,

You are perfectly right, Leveling should not modify Work (or only on Summary tasks if you assigned resources to one of them - which you should never ever do). If you see such a change on nonsummary tasks, I'd like to see that. Can you send me the file to

jandemesATprom-ade.be

(aftr replacing AT by @)

Greetings,

Monday, April 11, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Actually I get it on two, different projects. In both cases they have their original Work amounts changed to fractions of days.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to get the files to you but will make enquiries.

Monday, April 11, 2016 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sending the file. I examined it and did some tests:

- First and foremost, leveling does not change work. Not on any task, not on any resource. Baselined the file and looked at Work variance after leveling: zero everywhere.

- Stiill, for some tasks the duration will show such odd figures. The reason here is that you have a few tsks with such non-integer durations and when leveling shifts them that may cause other tasks not to start/finish at the start/end of a day. I rounded the durations of these tasks manually and now leveling keeps everything integer.

- Curious is that for a lot of tasks you have work but no resource. That does not influence the result (those tasks will be ignored by leveling) but it is somewhat odd.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:09 PM
  • What can I say, Jan? You are the best and thanks very much!!!

I would never have dreamed of checking the duration. Even had I done so, I am sure I wouldn't have put 2 and 2 together to reach your conclusion that non-integer durations influence the work after levelling.

Thank you again

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:45 PM