none
Is My Imaging Procedure Hurting My Clients? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.

Some context: I currently use VirtualBox to create a thin/fat hybrid image (I include some older legacy software that can't be installed during imaging / deployment). When I completely set up the VM to be the common image to be deployed to all clients, I then make a clone of the VM using VirtualBox's UI. Then I capture an image of the clone using MDT.

The reason I clone the VM is so that I can use the original VM for my quarterly update. During such an update, I go back to the original, install patches, make any config changes, etc on the original and then I clone it again and I capture a new image.

I'm aware that this isn't the prescribed method of doing things but I'm not able to use the full Standard Client TS since those legacy applications can't be installed during imaging / deployment. I have two questions.

What are the possible drawbacks of doing things as I have described above? 
    Could this have any negative effect on the performance of the clients to which these images are deployed?
    Friday, September 29, 2017 2:18 AM

Answers

• Basically your approach is fine. You might be able, however, to streamline it a bit if you invest just a bit of time. I would, whenever possible use Hyper-V (but that is not a hard requirement). You could utilize PauseTS script to pause MDT task sequence to install legacy apps which you can't install silently and then resume TS execution. You may be able to utilize Hyper-V snapshot functionality before you resume TS execution so that your TS will install latest Windows Update. Another alternative for legacy applications is to repackage them (your results may vary).

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by mr_bolton Monday, October 2, 2017 11:01 PM
    Friday, September 29, 2017 8:13 AM

All replies

• Basically your approach is fine. You might be able, however, to streamline it a bit if you invest just a bit of time. I would, whenever possible use Hyper-V (but that is not a hard requirement). You could utilize PauseTS script to pause MDT task sequence to install legacy apps which you can't install silently and then resume TS execution. You may be able to utilize Hyper-V snapshot functionality before you resume TS execution so that your TS will install latest Windows Update. Another alternative for legacy applications is to repackage them (your results may vary).

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by mr_bolton Monday, October 2, 2017 11:01 PM
    Friday, September 29, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hello Anton! Thank you for your reply. I've often chosen to use alternatives to Hyper-V because of 1. the inability to run other hypervisors simultaneously, and 2. Hyper-V's limited support for non-Windows OSs. 

I will look into using the PauseTS functionality and see how that works with my situation. I may have to restart the VM during these legacy apps installations so hopefully that won't be an issue.
    Monday, October 2, 2017 11:01 PM