Install Critical updates at arrival time and install other updates two weeks later RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I need to know what is the best way to Install Critical and security updates at arrival time and install other updates two weeks after arrival tim?  (when all updates are auto approved).

Can I use "Set a deadline for approval" option in WSUS or not?

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

one for critical updates with 0 day deadline

It would work.

for other updates with 14 days deadline

In this situation, you have to set “Configure Automatic Updates" as 2 or 3. If it is 4, updates may be automatically installed at the scheduled time before the deadline. When it is 2 or 3, updates may be installed manually by user before the deadline. If it does not happen, updates would be installed automatically at the scheduled time.

If above behavior is what you expect or is acceptable to you, "Automatic Approval with 14 days deadline" could work.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ghasem Shams Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Install Critical and security updates at arrival time.

It is easy. Just set the Automatic Approval and set the policy “Configure Automatic Updates" to 4 and enable the policy "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation" to let clients install the updates immediately and at the scheduled time.

Install other updates two weeks after arrival time.

Deadline is not a good choice because the updates would still be installed immediately and at the scheduled time when they are approved at the arrival time. Even if you disable "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation" and set clients not to install updates automatically, deadline could only guarantees that the update will be installed no later than the specified time.

Use this script instead.

WSUS delay automatic approvals
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/WSUS-DELAY-AUTO-APPROVALS-ba0ea840

To exclude the Critical and Security updates in the script, you may need to modify it and you could find the method in its "Q and A".

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for your quick replay dear Ray

What if I disable "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation" and define two separate rules : one for critical updates with 0 day deadline and another for other updates with 14 days deadline?

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:07 PM
  • Hello,

one for critical updates with 0 day deadline

It would work.

for other updates with 14 days deadline

In this situation, you have to set “Configure Automatic Updates" as 2 or 3. If it is 4, updates may be automatically installed at the scheduled time before the deadline. When it is 2 or 3, updates may be installed manually by user before the deadline. If it does not happen, updates would be installed automatically at the scheduled time.

If above behavior is what you expect or is acceptable to you, "Automatic Approval with 14 days deadline" could work.

Best Regards,
    Ray

• Marked as answer by Ghasem Shams Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:57 AM