Default path to user profile changes when loggin in as common user RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everybody - i have stumbled upon a problem that i just cannot figure out which seems to have to do with user privilegies.

After having sequenced an application (has happened to a few different apps, now it was QlikView) i enter till File - Open (or Save As) menu and see that the default path is (%USERPROFILE%\) My Documents. The "My Documents" link on the left side on the other hand is gone and when i press the down arrow in the drop down menu to choose another location, the path to "My Documents" changes automatically to "Recent Documents". From there i can go forward and choose directory. The default path for the particular application is set to %USERPROFILE%\My Documents and everything looks good in the path settings in the application options.

But, the interesting here is that when logged in as an administrator, this behaviour does not occur. When logged in as administrator the "My Documents" folder can be seen on the right and when clicking on the drop down menu it workes as intended.

Anyone has any clever ideas? Why can´t it show the "My Documents" link?

Thanks,

E.O

Monday, February 4, 2008 12:44 PM

Answers

•  

Thanks for the reply. I will post my findings as soon as i have the possibilty (the time) to test this application further.

Regards,

E.Osorio

Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:25 PM

All replies

• Does the sequence include a hard coded path to the My Documents folder that the sequencer has not picked up and variablised? e.g. is there a hard coded path to something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents

An administrator will be able to see this location where as a standard user cannot. If so you'll have to modify where this is stored (registry, XML file etc) so that when a user runs the application the path points to their own folder.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:17 AM
  • Hi and thanks for the reply.

The path was the first thing i checked. By default there is no registry setting but i can see the default paths in the application settings. During sequencing the path is, as you describe - "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents" - but after sequencing (on the client) i look in the published application and the path now shows the current logged on user My Documents path - "C:\Documents and Settings\currentuser\My Documents", which seeems right! Still when i press open or save as it cannot find it and automatically changes to "Recent Documents".

If i modify the default paths in the application during sequencing a registry key is created which includes theese paths as values. I have tested to change them to %USERPROFILE%\My Documents as well as %CSIDL_PERSONAL% but unfortunately the same problem occures anyway.

I am desperatly looking for other places where this path could be hiding but so far nothing ...

Kind Regards,

Ezequiel

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Registry is one place (and only one that SystemGuard can properly map according to environment you are running at client) but check for .INI files or similiar configuration files. Those might hold hardcoded paths to administrator -profile. Usually files of such nature go by extension of .ini, .conf, .xml, .settings etc.

If you have such file then you have basically two (three) options:

1) If possible, delete those lines or configuration primitives from file that contain hardcoded paths and hope that application will do the proper thing on first launch and recreate missing values; watch out for Application Wizard because if you launch application at that point, any changes to files are re-captured into sequence! Workaround is to have extra shortcut defined to explorer.exe or notepad.exe that you launch as the last one, use it to delete unwanted lines again and then go back one step in wizard and remove the extra shortcut (since you are not going to publish that) + next + next + finish

1b) If application barfs at idea of having incomplete configuration file, try deleting the whole config file and proceed as above. This might cause loss of pre-configuration for application, but at least it solves more fundamental problem.

2) Write "intelligent" script to OSD that runs before application launches (pre-launch) and which modifies offending lines appropriately

Hope these give some pointers on how to proceed!

/Kalle

Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:07 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply. I will post my findings as soon as i have the possibilty (the time) to test this application further.

Regards,

E.Osorio

Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:25 PM