none
forward and backward pass RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create a forward and backward pass diagram in MS project.  I have the network diagram but cannot figure out how to convert it to show forward and backward passes.  Any help would be much appreciated.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:32 PM

All replies

• wentzmd,

Normally a backward pass in Project leads to a circular relationship so I'm a little curious as to why you have, or think you need, a backward pass. Can you expand on that with an example?

View configurations for the Network Diagram are set under Format tab on the ribbon.

John

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:08 PM
  • I cannot understand what it is that you expect when you say "convert it to show forward and backward passes".

Do you want the data in the blocks or nodes in the network diagram to show earliest and latest dates and float?

The "classical" method of calculating the critical path consists of these steps:

assemble a network of tasks by estimating the duration of each task

link the tasks to their predecessors and successors, so that each task is on a path from the first task to the last task.

Starting at the first task, add the duration and calculate the earliest start date and earliest finish date for each task.

Starting at the last task, subtract the durations and calculate the latest start and latest finish date for each task.

Subtract the earliest start from the latest start for each task and calculate the float. Float is the amount of time that a task can be delayed before it delays the finish date of the project.

By definition, any task with zero float is called "critical", because these tasks cannot be delayed at all without delaying the finish date of the project.

This algorithm is built in to the scheduling engine of MSP. You never see the calculation being done by MSP, but the results of it (early dates, late dates and float) can be seen in the schedule table.

The network diagram nodes can be formatted to show the same data.

Any help so far?

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Wentzmd,

CPM/PDM forward pass through the network is documented by the early dates, while the backward pass is documented by the late dates.  Project does not ship with a standard CPM/PDM logic box for the network view.  As Trevor suggested, you need to create one yourself.  Right-click on any standard task box and select "Format Box," then follow the directions to create your own new Data Template definition.  Once you have created the template be sure to apply it to the various box styles (e.g. critical and non-critical) in your diagram.

Good luck, tom

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:03 PM