none
Disable DHCP on the ADSL router and create DHCP on the Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to disable DHCP server on the ADSL Router and create DHCP on the server.

I have two Nic installed on the server:

1. IP address 192.168.1.8

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

2. IP address 10.0.1.14/DNS

I install new DCHP server and also set up the Scope, Start and End IP address.  192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

While doing that I  create a user client on the server and try to log on to a client PC .

I can only access  internet on the client but did not receive any respond form the dns server. And Also all the wireless device I cannot access internet as well. Can any expect help me on this to solved the DNS queries and the wireless device?

Monday, August 1, 2016 1:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Orzzie,

1. It's not recommended to make DC multi-homed, since it may cause DNS resolution issue;

2. You can install DHCP on DC, but it's better to separate them.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 8, 2016 4:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Orzzie,

Do you mean your DHCP server has two NICs (192.168.1.8 and 10.0.1.14)?

1. It is not recommended to make DHCP multihomed;

2. Please run an ipconfig/all on the client, check if the clients could obtain correct IP settings from the DHCP server;

3. Check if the  client could ping the DNS server (10.0.1.14?), if not, you need to check the route tables.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 1, 2016 6:25 AM
  • I Install windows 2008 server AD and by default it install DNS as well. I also want to install dhcp and disable DHCP on the router and install in on the same server. The server has two NIC one is connected to the router gateway and the other NIC is connected to the switch.

Am I following the right configuration or should I install dhcp server on the separate server instead of binding them together with AD, DNS and DHCP in on Server in the server role.

Friday, August 5, 2016 4:38 AM
  • Hi Orzzie,

1. It's not recommended to make DC multi-homed, since it may cause DNS resolution issue;

2. You can install DHCP on DC, but it's better to separate them.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, August 8, 2016 4:33 AM