none
Installing Windows 7 beta 32bit - Blue Screen on Windows Initializing RRS feed

• General discussion

•   I have a problem. I not sure wether it is me or Windows 7 Beta. After installing windows 7 beta 32bit edition, and it has finalized installation and it prepares to boot for the first time, i get a blue screen.

PC Setup
    CPU: AMD 4000
    Motherboard: ASUS A8N-VM CSM
    Memory: 2GB Kingston DDR400
    Graphics: On board Geforce 6150+ (pretty sure this is the problem)
    DVD Drive: LG DVD Sata Drive
    Hard Drive Seagate 500GB

I'm pretty confident that the onboard graphics is the problem, but still unsure. I'm keen to find out if any one else out there that has had a similar problem.

Thanks Gilzzy
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:06 PM

All replies

• I get the same results, outlined in the thread I started just an hour or two ago.  AMD system, nvidia 6150 chipset.  More details in my thread, but no replies yet.

These are pretty common systems (AMD with nvidia 6150 onboard video) so MS better fix this (and maybe tell us how to install without MCSE skilz) before release.  It's hard to believe that even a beta was distributed that doesn't work with this very common chipset.

Monday, February 16, 2009 9:59 PM
  • Ops i looked but got now results from the search, did you fix your problem? Wht did you try??

Gilzzy
    Monday, February 16, 2009 10:08 PM
  • I haven't tried anything except what was in my post...  It is titled something like "BSOD during installation" or something very similar.  Mostly I tried fiddling with BIOS settings and trying a "last known good settings" boot.

I also tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions with the same results.

The most promising thing I found from searching around was to download some sort of microsoft administrator's migration toolkit, which explains how to slipstream new video drivers into the win7 beta DVD image.  That goes well beyond the time I'm willing to spend on this.  If there is a simpler solution I'll go for it, otherwise I'll wait until win7 is released and look for report of installation success on systems like ours that use the 6150 chipset.

If MS fixes it, then I'll probably get win7 for that system.  If not, several distributions of linux work on that computer straight out of the box and I'll go with one of those instead.

Monday, February 16, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Yea it is anoying that it isn't working, i just hope it dosn't requier a service pack. I'm interested in seeing if there is anyone else that has got problems with there onboard graphics and not just the 6150 chipset.

Gilzzy
    Monday, February 16, 2009 10:26 PM