none
Monthly Tape backup failed, disk copy expired before tape job ran again. Options? RRS feed

• Question

• While I was on vacation, my monthly backups to tape failed, with errors related to the dpm backup encryption certificate.  (This cert had expired about 10 days before, and had already been replaced, but when combined with other circumstances it still resulted in a failed job.)

Now that I'm back in the office and discovered the failed jobs, most of the recovery points on disk from the 1st of the month have expired.  (oldest recovery points available now are from the 4th.)  Since there's no way to reproduce that point in time snapshot of the data now, I'd like to offload the October 4th data to tape as the monthly backup.  What's the best way for me to do this?

I would think I could just change the date that the monthly backup should run to today's date, and DPM would backup to tape the most recent recovery points, but I'd prefer to get the oldest if possible.  Is there any way to get DPM to run the monthly job now, using recovery points from October 4th instead of october 1st?

Thanks!

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Although you cannot pick the recovery point date in the past to make a new recovery point from, you can run the DPM Power shell script in this post to select a recovery goal to make a current backup for.  The recovery point date would be that of the latest disk based recovery point for any goal selected.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/4d9e8f47-33b6-4f57-82fa-6d25f6c43d80

Aside from that, you could select to restore an older disk based RP and chose the option to recover (copy) to tape, but that is not the same as making a new tape based recovery point, and each restore would require a new tape, so not very efficient. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Although you cannot pick the recovery point date in the past to make a new recovery point from, you can run the DPM Power shell script in this post to select a recovery goal to make a current backup for.  The recovery point date would be that of the latest disk based recovery point for any goal selected.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/4d9e8f47-33b6-4f57-82fa-6d25f6c43d80

Aside from that, you could select to restore an older disk based RP and chose the option to recover (copy) to tape, but that is not the same as making a new tape based recovery point, and each restore would require a new tape, so not very efficient. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Manually restoring the recovery points and then copying each to a single tape sounds like it would eat up a lot of time and tape resources for what benefit we would get.  I'll kick off the jobs using the powershell script, and take the most recent recovery points instead of the oldest. 

Thanks!

Monday, October 13, 2014 8:03 PM